Platinum, chromium, gold, diamond, coal, iron ore, uranium, copper, and other minerals.
South Africa's resources
The republic of South Africa has some of the largest mineral reserves in the world. Platinum, chromium, gold, diamond, coal, iron ore, uranium, copper, and other minerals are it's most valuable items.
The republic of South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Mozambique mine and burn coal from their own deposits of natural gas as well, as well as Angola. the region's rivers are another natural resource for providing power.
Minerals and other resources
1. Namibia is one of Africa's richest countries in mineral resources. 2. Gold is leading export for Zimbabwe. 3. Malawi's most natural resource is fertile soil.
Southern Africa is known for it's variety of animal life.
how does deforestation in the region affect the energy supply in the region?
Because the sediment that enters the river slows the water flow.
lesson 2 History of Southern Africa
Rise of kingdoms
Southern Africa's people have inhabited the region for thousands of years
1. Around the year A.D 900, the Shona people built a wealthy and powerful kingdom in what is now Zimbabwe and Mozambique. 2. the capital was a city called great Zimbabwe.
The Mutapa empire
1. In the late 1400's, the Shona conquered the region between the Zambezi and Limpopo river from Zimbabwe to the coast of Mozambique. The Portuguese arrived and took over the coastal trade in 1500's.
1. The zulu leader Shaka united his people in the early 1800's in order to form the Zulu empire in what is now South Africa. 2. A series of kingdoms rose and fell on the island of Madagascar
1. Around 1500, Portugal and other European countries began establishing settlements along the African coast.
Clashes in South Africa
1. During the 1600's till about the 1800's, Europeans set up trading posts but did not establish colonies, witch are large territories with settlers from a home country.
The union of South Africa
1. Wars in Europe gave Britain control of the cape colony in the 1800's.
Colonialism in other areas
1. While the British and boers for South Africa, other European countries cometed for the rest of Africa.
“Which European country claimed the most territory in Southern Africa in the 1800's?”