Over the last several days, we have received several questions around the City's efforts to help those who are unstably housed or homeless.
As such, we wanted to share with you what has been accomplished so far to take care of all members of our community as part of our COVID-19 response.
This is also just the beginning. Here's a look at what's just around the corner:
- Opening more public restrooms in City parks for those who may need them.
- Working with Hope’s Corner to re-start their shower services for those who utilize them.
- Working to bring solar electrical outlets to areas throughout the City to allow individuals to charge their phones as needed.
- Looking at ways to create wifi connectivity hotspots around the city to add to those already provided free of charge by Xfinity.
As City staff gets more programs up and running, and as more efforts come to fruition, we will reach out, and we will share with our entire community.
On the City's dedicated webpage, a list of all resources, both locally and beyond, for unstably housed or homeless individuals can be found and shared. The City continues to partner with CSA to better serve vulnerable populations.
On this site, you will find information on:
- Second Harvest Foodbank: To find out where the nearest grocery distribution besides CSA: Contact Food Connection hotline at 1-800-984-3663 Text “GETFOOD” to (408) 455-5181. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.shfb.org.
- School Food Distribution: For students under 18. Mountain View Whisman & Mountain View Los Altos HSD will have meals at Castro/Mistral School (505 Escuela Ave.) from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Klein Park (Ortega Ave & California Street) from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Lunch and Breakfast at a Food for Thought Truck- Grab and Go, drive up - curbside or walk up meals Breakfast and lunch, packed together. www.mvla.net or www.mvwsd.org.
- Hope’s Corner: To-go boxed breakfasts and lunches are currently offered. Learn more at www.hopes-corner.org.
- Dignity on Wheels (DOW): Free mobile showers, washer and dryer services continue located at CSA on Tuesday’s 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.