The architect Jorn Utzon was initially rejected by three judges in a 1956 competition to design the Sydney Opera House, but his entry was picked out by the fourth judge, renowned American architect Eero Saarinen, who declared it outstanding. Mr Utzon beat 232 other entrants.When Queen Elizabeth II opened the Sydney Opera House on October 20, 1973, Utzon was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of Architects Australia – but was absent from the ceremony.The first opera performed at the house was Sergei Prokofiev's War and Peace, on September 28 1973.
Bondi holds the record for the largest swimsuit photo shoot ever. In September 2007, 1010 bikini-clad took part in a cosmopolitan magazine shoot on Bondi beach.The Bondi Surf Bathers' Life Saving Club was founded on Bondi Beach February 1907 making it the oldest, established, Surf Life Saving Club in the world.The 1959 film version of Summer of the Seventeenth Doll a play by Ray Lawler was shot on part location on Bondi Beach and featured the famous Iceberg's Club.
The park was constructed at the foot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge during 1935, and ran for nine-month seasons until 1972, when it was opened year-round. Luna Park was closed in mid-1979, immediately following the Ghost Train fire, which killed six children and one adult. Most of the park was demolished, and a new amusement park was constructed; this originally operated under the name of Harbourside Amusement Park before resuming the Luna Park name. The park was closed again in 1988 as an independent engineering inspection determined that several rides needed urgent repair.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge contains a total of 52,800 tonnes of steel, which includes the arch and the approach spans. It is engineered to withstand expansion or contraction due to heating or cooling by 420 millimeters for the deck and 180 millimeters for the arch.It took 272,000 litres of paint for the initial 3 coats of the harbour bridge. At one time, a team commissioned to repaint the bridge was virtually permanently employed because after they completed the last coat of paint, it was about time to start the next one.It took 1,400 men eight years to build the bridge at a cost of 4.2 million dollars and 16 lives lost. Homes of up to 800 families living along the path of the bridge were also demolished without any compensation given.
The Rocks area borders on the Bradfield Highway, leading to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, with the localities of Dawes Point and Millers Point, to the west. It is immediately adjacent to Circular Quay on Sydney Cove, the site of Australia's first European settlement in 1788.The Rocks became established shortly after the colony's formation in 1788. It was known as Tallawoladah by the Cadigal people. The original buildings were first traditional vernacular houses, of wattle and daub, with thatched roofs, and later of local sandstone, from which the area derives its name.The Rocks Market operates each weekend, with around 100 stalls. During the week, shopping options include galleries exhibiting Australian artists, such as Ken Done and Ken Duncan, as well as Australian clothing and Australian opal shops.