The 2018-19 wrestling season marks Pat Popolizio’s seventh at the helm of the NC State wrestling program, as he was named head wrestling coach of the Wolfpack on April 10, 2012 after six seasons as the head coach at Binghamton. Popolizio graduated in 2001 with a bachelor’s degree in health and physical education from Oklahoma State. He was a two-time Big 12 All Academic selection.
Among Popolizio's many accomplishments in his first 6 seasons at NC State:
• 2018 Dan Gable co-NCAA Coach of the Year
• 2018 ACC Coach of the Year
• 2016 National Coach of the Year - FloWrestling
• 1st team trophy in school history with school record 4th place 2018 NCAA finish
• 5 straight top-20 NCAA finishes, tied for the most in school history (1980-84)
• 11 All-American honors, school record 4 in 2018
• 40 NCAA Qualifiers, school record 10 in 2017, 27 of 30 starters last three seasons
• 3 straight top-10 NWCA/USA Today Coaches’ Poll finishes (2nd in 2016, 8th in 2017, 6th in 2018)
• #1 recruiting class nationally in 2016 - FloWrestling and InterMat, 3 in top-25 overall. #3 recruiting class nationally in 2018 by InterMat - 5 in the top-100 and 2 in the top-25.
• 2016 ACC Champions with 4 individual titles
• 2018 ACC regular season champions, first time since 2004, first undefeated ACC season (5-0) since 2000
• 4 of the last 5 ACC Wrestlers of the Year were from NC State
• 17 Academic All-Americans, 18 All-ACC Academic team selections, 2 ACC Wrestling Scholar-Athletes of the Year
• 3 NCAA Championships, 5 NCAA Finals appearances, 8 top-three NCAA finishes
• Served as the head coach for the USA at the 2018 Cadet Pan American Championships in Guatemala City, Guatemala. The U.S. dominated, winning the team title with 9 of the 10 wrestlers winning Gold.
Assistant Coach Adam Hall
Former All-American Adam Hall joined the NC State coaching staff in the summer of 2015 as an assistant coach. He placed fifth at both the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Olumpic Team Trials, and won his weight class (70 kg) at the University National Tournament in October 2016. Hall earned a B.S. degree in health science studies from Boise State in 2011. and a Masters Sports Management in 2015 from Columbia.
Assistant Coach Donnie Vinson
Donnie Vinson joined the Wolfpack as an assistant coach in September of 2017. Vinson was an All-American at 149 pounds during his collegiate career at Binghamton under head coach Pat Popolizio, and spent the previous three years on the coaching staff at Cornell.
Assistant Coach Obe Blanc
Obe Blanc joined the NC State wrestling staff in the summer of 2014. A 2013 U.S. World Team Trials champion and U.S. Open champion, he also serves as the Wolfpack RTC head coach. Blanc wrestled collegiately at both Lock Haven and Oklahoma State, and earned his undergraduate degree in Sports Administration from Lock Haven in 2008 and a Masters in International Business from Oklahoma State in 2010.