SOOBIN KIM - TEXT AS ART PROJECT
[RESEARCH 1 : Searching for the right model]
With an objective to find an intricately designed model, I was browsing through the internet for inspiration and narrowed my focus to three subjects: a leafy sea dragon, a skeleton, and a jellyfish.
I then shifted my focus to various typography designs and took note of how other people modified text to shape their animals, which includes the length of each letter, proximity to other texts and its effect, level of stretching, and etc.
Leafy Sea Dragon, Skeleton, Jellyfish
Inspiration from http://typostrate.com/inspirations/typography-specials/typography-animals/
Inspiration from http://designdazzling.com/creative-and-amazing-animals-typography-photos/
[RESEARCH 2 : Different compositions]
Text has always seemed to be block-like to me, which is why I decided to work with a jellyfish--to explore the more versatile side of letters and how this can be applied to create fluttery designs like those of a jellyfish.
I've gathered a total of 11 images that varies in composition and shows the animal in different angles.
These are 10 quick thumbnail sketches that features different kinds of jellyfish as well as varying angles. At the end, drawings #5, #7, and #10 were selected as the 3 main compositions.
[3 MAIN IDEAS]
I redrew the 3 choices and took notes on its characteristics and what I liked/disliked about it.
Because of the minute detail around the tentacles and its balanced composition, I decided to work with #10. However I thought the name 'Jellyfish' was a bit too short and after further research, I concluded that its full name was a 'purple-striped jellyfish'.
Too much black can be dull, which is why it needs a bit of color.
Colored Version - Final Product
Colored V2 - Final Product
The final product is a congregation of several approaches made to create a textual image of a purple-striped jellyfish. As mentioned before, text has always seemed like a block-like design and I wanted to use this opportunity to delve into a completely different side. This is why I went with an animal that features fluttery and flowering shapes all throughout its body.
This composition of a jellyfish is rather different in the sense that it does not show the entire body. I wanted to bring in a more realistic look and realizing that the nature of text does not satisfy this characteristic, I adjusted the image so it could have a bulging effect.
The main design problem I had was the fact that the image itself had way too many components to it and using text ineffectively could create complete chaos, filling the entire page with black blobs. The most valuable experience I gained through this assignment served to be the solution to this problem--the use of negative space. Contrary to its name, it actually accentuated some parts of my piece and allowed me to bring together a more interesting product.
Parts that required ornate detail was covered with small letters in close proximity to one another and others that took up more space were shaped using big bold letters. I've also put some thought into using capital letters in the more defining parts like the tentacles and lower case letters in parts with patterns such as the head and the tentacles.
One other key feature of this product lies at the tentacles; I used a gradient of letters that slowly take shape into similar looking letters. For instance, a sans serif E looks like a F and P matches with a D. Doing this brought up an effect of rippling motion throughout the tentacles.
As I have attained reasonable skill through this project, I have been wanting to take another step into actually using less letters to create images of other animals. Using more is seemingly harder yet less of something means I would have to pay more attention to detail and even illusions.