Bragging rights firmly belong to AFC Mansfield as they convincingly beat local rivals Clipstone FC 5-0 at Forest Town Arena on Saturday. Goals from Phil Buxton and Ollie Fearon in the 1st half set The Bulls on their way and further goals from Ellis Wall, Grant Allott and Danny Williams completed the emphatic scoreline.

The game started with a fast pace and both sides had half chances in the opening 5 minutes. But gradually The Bulls began to get on top. It was no surprise when they opened the scoring on 18 minutes. Ollie Fearon curled an inviting pass into the path of Ellis Wall, the midfielder’s low drive was well saved by Garry Doncaster in the Clipstone goal. Unfortunately, the ball bounced towards Phil Buxton and he calmly slotted the ball home from just inside the box.

2 minutes later and Matty Plummer saw his shot dip just over the bar from 20 yards. AFC continued to press and a Jimmy Ghaichem cross found Fearon but his touch deserted him and the ball rolled out for a goal kick.

Another dangerous ball into the box, this time a Danny Naylor free kick flew across the face of goal with just a touch needed to score. Naylor was playing his 200th game for AFC Mansfield a record stretching over 5 seasons since the club was formed.

Clipstone were trying to combat the strong wind blowing in their faces by playing the ball out from the back. This came unstuck on 41 minutes when Jordan Annable disposed Ben Rogers and fed Fearon. The striker looked up and seeing Doncaster on the edge of his box lifted the ball over him and into the net from 25 yards.

If Clipstone were going to get back into the game they needed an early goal. Ryan Hawley had an effort saved by Dale Sheppard in the opening minute of the 2nd half.

An early goal did come, but at the wrong end for the visitors. A short back pass on 50 minutes was blocked by Fearon and in the confusion a half clearance from Keir Webster was fired home by Ellis Wall to make it 3-0.

Both Fearon and Plummer had chances blocked on 52 minutes and Doncaster was lucky to stay on the pitch 3 minutes later when he kicked Fearon on the floor off the ball inside the 6-yard box.

Tim Gregory had a chance to reduce the arrears on 62 minutes but hit his shot straight at Sheppard.

Doncaster then turned Wall’s effort around the post and got down well to Plummer’s header from the resulting corner.

The Bulls made it 4-0 on 72 minutes, another corner met by Fearon and when the ball looped up Grant Allott powerfully headed past Doncaster, despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Fearon fired wide of the target on 75 minutes before it all came crashing down for Doncaster. Looking to take a routine through ball on 79 minutes the keeper seemed to have the ball in his hands before spilling it into the path of Danny Williams who had a simple finish from 6 yards.

In the final 10 minutes AFC put in cross after cross but there was to be no further score and AFC Mansfield ran out comfortable winners.

AFC Mansfield: Sheppard, Annable (Wilson 66), Dudley, Allott, Plummer, Naylor (Williams 60), Wall (Paling 69), Lloyd, Fearon, Buxton, Ghaichem (C). Subs not used: Karkach & White.

Clipstone: Doncaster, Burbanks, Paling R, Webster, Taylor, Rogers (C) (Ashton 58), Bircumshaw, Williams, Walker (Curzon 63), Hawley (Blaney 80), Gregory. Subs not used: Thomas & Francis.

Referee: Mr Andrew Dallison (Sandiacre)

Assistants: Mr Scott Mason (Sutton-in-Ashfield) & Mr Chris Hunter (Watnall)

Attendance: 170

Supporters MoM: Ollie Fearon

Danny Naylor on his 200th appearance for the club, presents Ollie Fearon with the Man of the match award

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.