Titanic Belfast Museum PROCESS JournAl

March 7, 2017: We are doing the Titanic Belfast museum. Before this class, we had never even heard of this building, or even the city of Belfast found in Northern Ireland, U.K. From the time of the start until now, we have gained knowledge purely on how to use different apps and softwares to figure out scales and measurements. We've learned how to convert feet into inches for our specific model, and have figured out who's doing what. We all have a specific job and mine is the building manager. One struggle we came across quickly was to figure out the different angles that we would need. We've thought processed on how to build this museum, but haven't come to a solid idea yet. Also, when we started researching the scale and measurements of the actual museum, it obnoxiously doesn't have that much on it. It mostly brings up the ship titanic measurements.

March 20, 2017: Things are heating up! We have a permanent base now, with numbers and measurements. The structure we have started building is made purely out of cardboard and hot glue so far. We have gotten all scales and measurements from sketch up and are starting to actually build now. Now that we have sketched directly on the board and perfected it, the next step we are currently working on is getting the walls of the base up. This poses a bit of a challenge because we have to measure and cut very precisely. The measurements have to be exact.

April 4, 2017: Through hot glue gun burns, measuring frustrations, and countless pieces of cardboard, we have now made the base of the Belfast, put up the center walls and made a roof. Oh, and we're half way there! Yay! We did had trouble measuring the angles for the sides, but Mr. Hughes was a big help in getting them measured out. Since we have the center of the structure and base done, it's only a matter of building the overhanging sides. The next step is getting the scale of the overhanging sides, and cutting them out. The biggest challenge we face currently is trying to think of the next step we need to take with the side walls.

April 19, 2017: We now have two of the overhanging walls done. This part was the most stressful so far in the project because we had to do a bit of guessing on the slanted angles. Sketch Up (the software we use to get the scale numbers and measurements) did not have the measurements. We took the "trial and error" approach on it and got it done. It lined up perfectly and the whole structure is falling into place. Our method has produced promising results, so we have continued to do it. The next step we're taking is to build the other two overhanging sides, fill some gaps, and begin painting.

May 3, 2017: The feeling we have of progress is much more tangible now. At this point, we're roughly 85% done. We have completely finished the structure. A lot of hours, tears and hard work have brought us to where we are. After we finished the two smaller walls, I began painting. It's all coming together now as I have started putting time in just to make it look better. The next step we are taking is to touch up the paint, repaying the board using white primer, and put aluminum foil on the over hanging walls. Once that is done, we'll be very close to the end of the entire project.

May 4, 2017: The project is coming well into place as we have now touched up the paint. It looks so much more clean and nice and not messy. The next step we are taking is to put the aluminum foil over the side, cut out the sculpture in front, and paint the board white. We are so close to the project being finalized. We have come to understand that painting freehanded is a lot more challenging than we thought it would be, but we got it done and it looks wonderful.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.