Begining with Prayer
Last Sunday we discovered that 29.3% of our friends, neighbors, and co-workers mark “None” when asked about their religious beliefs or affiliations. As Christians and as a church we believe our mission is where our communities greatest need meets our strengths and passions. God is calling us to Make Disciples who love God, love others, and Make Disciples right here where he has planted. We are starting with prayer as we committed to praying for 3-5 people who don’t know Jesus, every single day and asking God to bring people into our path that we are called to BLESS.
Thanks to everyone who attended our PULSE discussion meeting following the service, even though it did not go exactly as planned. We were able to collect lots of valuable feedback from everyone. If you have anything else to share about your reactions to Pulse please send them our way.
These conversions will continue to shape how we move forward together. May we continue to run the race God has set out for us.
Our Fusion students learned about and shared the Lord's Supper this week.
Listen with Care
At church on Sunday we covered the second of five missional practices to intentionally introduce people to Jesus. Listen with Care. The most important questions most unchurched people are asking of Christians these days comes down to can we be trusted? One way we can build real and trusting relationships with unchurched and dechurched people is through asking questions and really listening.
Our job is to get curious and ask good questions. Listen deeply to people’s dreams and pain. And even more listen for evidence of God’s work in their lives. When we do that, we build strong relationships of trust and are ready to participate in the work God is already doing in their lives.
Here are some questions to help us begin conversations with others about spiritual topics.
- Do you have any religious background? What does it mean to you?
- What is the story of your faith journey? How has it changed over time?
- Have you ever had what you would call a “spiritual” experience? What happened?
- Many people are interested in spiritual things but not organized religion. Can you relate to that? In what way?
- Do you think there is a God? What do you think God is like? What questions would you ask God if you could?
- Do you wish God were real? Why or why not? What difference would it make?
- Have you ever had good or bad experiences with Christians or the church? What were they? (sometimes we have to rebuild broken trust before a conversation can move forward.)
Pray for Bethel
- Pray that we will make individual connections and build relationships of trust with people who don’t know Jesus.
- Pray that God will draw unchurched people closer to him through Bethel Covenant.
- Pray that God will raise up our future leaders
- Finally pray for me, your Pastor.