Rwanda 4 day Gorilla tracking tour / Kigali & Lake Kivu
- Parc National des Volcans (Volcanoes National Park) in the Virunga volcanoes is home to the mountain gorillas. At least 480 mountain gorillas inhabit this (Virunga) complex and live at altitudes from 2300 - 4500m ranging within the southern part of Virunga National Park (DRC), the Volcanoes National Park in northern Rwanda, while a few use the Mgahinga National Park in southwestern Uganda. One of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth is to spend an hour with the gentle giant gorillas as they go about their daily life - feeding, playing, resting, and raising their young.
- Meet and greet by our representative at the Gregoire Kayibanda International Airport with a transfer to your hotel. Overnight at the Kigali Serena Hotel with dinner & breakfast included. Click here to read more about Serena Hotel Kigali
- After breakfast enjoy a city tour of Kigali: (Visit the Kandt Museum, tour old Kigali and the craft centers then visit the genocide memorial museum. Learn about Rwanda’s history from the pre-colonial era to the 1994 genocide war that shocked the world; learn about other genocide wars in the world. You will also tour more recent developments in Rwanda. The nation’s recovery is incredible and a testament to mankind’s resilience.) In the afternoon proceed towards Lake Kivu, driving through stunning scenery of lush green hills and valleys. Almost the entire country is 5 - 7 thousand feet high, and incredibly lush. Where there aren't huge indigenous forests, enormous tea plantations and other types of farming stretch as far as the eye can see. Arrive at Gisenyi at the northern shore of Lake Kivu. It is a tropical location with a sandy beach lined with swaying palms and colonial-era hotels that exude an atmosphere of tropical languor. Overnight at the Lake Kivu Serena Hotel with dinner included. Click here to read more about Serena Hotel Lake Kivu
- Early morning depart (05h30) from the hotel with a breakfast box to the Volcanoes National Park headquarters in Kinigi for your mountain gorilla tracking. After the briefing from the authorities of the park; set off for the tracking into the tropical rainforest covering the hills surrounding Virunga Volcanoes. Parc National des Volcano’s is home to six of the Virunga volcanoes. You will remain close to the gorillas for a maximum of one hour allowing observation and photography. In the afternoon, tour to the nearby ex-poacher’s village (As part of overall conservation efforts, former poachers renounced their old ways and became conservation activists. Together with their families, they founded this little village where they now participate in eco-tourism showcasing Rwandan culture. Visitors can learn about traditional skills like fire-making, archery, traditional medicine, architectural design grass thatched huts that were built for the kings, traditional medicine, cultural dances among other attractions). You also have the option to visit the Bulera and Ruhondo twin lakes, which is about an hour drive from the gorilla tracking area. Overnight at the Lake Kivu Serena Hotel with breakfast, lunch near gorilla tracking & dinner included.
- Volcanoes National Park is part of the Virunga Mountains, which is a range of six extinct and three active volcanoes situated in Rwanda, Uganda and The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). In the heart of Africa, so high up that you shiver more than you sweat, are volcanoes towering up in the air for almost 3,000 m, nearly covered in rich, green rainforest - the Virungas. Situated in the far northwest of Rwanda, the Parc des Volcano’s protects the steep slopes of this magnificent mountain range - home of the rare mountain gorilla - and the rich mosaic of montane ecosystems, which embrace evergreen and bamboo forest, open grassland, swamp and heath. An exciting trek through the cultivated foothills of the Virungas offers stirring views in all directions. This is the best location to track the rare and captivating mountain gorillas (Gorilla Beringei). The guides can generally find the gorillas within one to eight hours of starting out, but this often involves a lot of strenuous effort scrambling through dense vegetation up steep muddy hillsides. An encounter with a silverback male gorilla at close quarters can be a hair-raising experience; however, they are remarkably non-aggressive animals, entirely vegetarian, and usually quite safe to be around.
- Day at leisure at the hotel OR explore more of the Gisenyi area on foot! Hike part of the Congo Nile trail. Accompanied by a local guide you’ll start with a short boat trip (in fishing boats) in the Bralirwa bay from where you will walk to the Nyamyumba hot springs (springs bubbling up into a large green pool and you can swim in the heated waters of the adjacent Lake Kivu). Visit a genocide memorial site before continue on foot climbing toward the escarpment via villages with superb views on the lake. Stop at markets, and continue on the Pfunda sub trail towards a tea plantation with many views on marshes, hills, eucalyptus forests, etc. Tour includes as back-up vehicle to use if you get tired, a picnic lunch and bottled water. Cost is US$30 per person (for clients account). Overnight at the Lake Kivu Serena Hotel with breakfast, lunch & dinner included.
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before checkout. After breakfast you will be transferred to airport for your flight back
This KSG - TAMAZAR safari route includes
- Transfers to and from Kigali Airport
- Accommodation and meals as per itinerary
- City tour of Kigali
- Entry fees for genocide mausoleum and traditional village
- 1x Gorilla permit per person (cost is $750.00 per permit)
- Professional trackers whilst Gorilla trekking
- National Park Entrance Fees
- Transfers in 4x4 vehicle with English speaking driver/guide
- Mineral water in vehicle
- Travel information pack
- Free postage of travel documents
This KSG - TAMAZAR safari route excludes
- Entry visa to Rwanda
- Flight to Rwanda
- Yellow fever inoculation - compulsory
- Travel Insurance (Highly recommended)
- All alcoholic beverages
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Laundry services
- Gratuities to the driver/guide and hotel staff
- All expenses of a personal nature