2020 at a Glance
- Roster size: 10
- Returners: 2
- Captains: Seniors Alec Berrodin and Danny Kroeze
- Spring MIAA Regular Season: The Flying Dutchmen finished second in the MIAA with a league record of 6-1 while going 11-9 overall.
- Spring MIAA Tournament: Hope advanced to the MIAA tournament championship round by defeating Calvin University in the semifinals. The Flying Dutchmen fell to regular-season champion Kalamazoo College in the tournament finals.
- Fall Invitational Results: Newcomer Paul Washington went undefeated in singles play to lead the Hope College men's tennis team at its Fall Invitational. The freshman won both of his singles matches in the B Flight. The Flying Dutchmen finished with an 11-11 singles record.
Left: Senior Danny Kroeze serves during a home match.
2020 Coaching Staff
Head Coach Bob Cawood
Bob Cawood '13 has been the head men's and women's tennis coach since 2017. He also is a Tennis Professional at Hope College's DeWitt Tennis Center.
Cawood is United States Professional Tennis Registry certified in High-Performance Coaching. He has instructed at the Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago and the Nike Tennis Camps at Michigan State University.
Cawood served up a decorated playing career for the Flying Dutchmen, including the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association co-championship team he captained his senior year in 2013. He was MIAA MVP that season. He is a three-time, All-MIAA First Team honoree and three-time Team MVP for the Flying Dutchmen. As a junior, Cawood was chosen the recipient of MIAA's Allen B. Stowe Sportsmanship Award in 2012.
Assistant Coach Nate Price
Men's Tennis By the Numbers
- 3.32. The team GPA of the 2019 squad, earning them an MIAA Team GPA award.
- 5. Men's tennis student-athletes who were named to the MIAA Honor Roll with GPAs of 3.5 or higher.