Last Friday week we held our in-person picture day. While it is strange having our picture day so late in the year, it was still a success. This was another example of how this year has forced us to change many traditions. We were happy to successfully have our students participate in picture day while socially distancing. I can't wait to see all of our smiling faces in the yearbook. If your student was absent on Friday 2/12, there will be two additional opportunities to participate during the Virtual Student Picture Days Friday 2/19 and Monday 2/22. There are still several open spots. Please sign up using the Sign Up Genius link below.
Please use the Signup Genius link above to select a picture time. There are still many spots available! Photographers will be set up in the gymnasium. Students will enter the building using the main entrance and access the gymnasium using the Flag Hallway. We will use one-way traffic while in the building. Students will exit out of the building using the North/6th grade hallway. Please see the map below.
Please remember that classes next week are virtual (Wed - Friday). In person instruction will resume on Monday, February 22. Enjoy the Valentine's holiday and the Mid-Winter Break!
Middle School Math Test Out Information 2021-2022 School Year
Middle School Math Test-Out 2021
Middle School students may waive a mathematics course requirement by testing out of a particular course. The requirements for testing out and the study guides for each course can be found on the Troy School District, Teaching and Learning web page:
The test out registration form must be completed online through the PowerSchool Parent/Student Portal. Submissions will be accepted between February 22 - March 22, 2021. Applications will be marked as "approved" after March 29 - no action is required from parents after submitting the form.
- Log into PowerSchool at ps.troy.k12.mi.us (web version only)
- Click the Icon Forms from the Left Menu
- Open the form Waiving a Math Course through Testing Out and complete the required fields (the registration form will open on February 22, 2021)
Math Test-Out exams will take place at Baker. Dates and times of exams will be communicated via email after March 29. Exams will take place in late April. All tests will be 90-minutes except for the Math 7/8 Honors exam which will be 120-minutes.
Fun Friday Video 2/12/21
Kind Club Calendar
The Baker Middle School Kind Club meets regularly to discuss ways to express kindness, love, empathy, gratitude, friendship, open mindedness, goal setting, sharing, and more! Our students are fortunate to have an opportunity to learn how to give kindness to themselves, friends, our entire school community, and the world. In their pursuit to spread kindness they created a kind calendar for February, inviting all of us to participate in one kind act per day.
Community Programs & Resources
Please see important information below regarding food pick up and community programs for February.
- Weekly food bags at Baker Middle School: available for pick up during office hours (8am-3pm). The main doors are unlocked, and bags are located right inside the front door. If you child attends in-seat, they can pick a bag up anytime they are at school. If you would like the office to connect with your child and ask them to take a bag home at the end of the week, please respond to this e-mail.
- Personal hygiene items at Baker Middle School: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes and more available for students and families. Located inside the main doors, near the weekly food bags and school supply pick up area. Please take what you need. Available during office hours.
- Food Service Curbside Pickup: Curbside Pick Up (breakfast and lunch) at Athens and Troy High School on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1pm-2pm. These meals are free and available to anyone 18 years and younger.
- Gleaners Free Food Distribution: Located at Morse Elementary, 475 Cherry Dr., Troy 48083. Every other Monday from 2-4pm: Feb. 15th, March 1st, March 15th, March 29th, April 12th, April 26th
Households with children who are in need of food are encouraged to attend our upcoming drive-thru food distribution sponsored by Gleaners Community Food Bank.
- Please stay in your vehicle to limit exposure. Please arrive with an empty trunk. Groceries will be placed into your trunk
- Guests without vehicles are welcome to walk up, while maintaining six feet of social distancing, and should be prepared to carry 20-30 pounds or have a cart.
The county has established the Oakland County Help Hotline to address the needs of residents who may need food or housing assistance during this time. That number – 248-858-1000—will be staffed from 8am-8pm.
For social-emotional resources and support, please connect with your child's school counselor and visit this website: https://www.troy.k12.mi.us/home-covid-19/social-and-emotional-support by clicking on the link below.
- MS Counselor (Last Names A-K) KChlebek@troy.k12.mi.us
- MS Counselor (last names L-Z) email@example.com
Return to Learn Guidebook
Please click on the following link to access and review a downloadable PDF of the Return to Learn Guidebook. Please read through the guidebook carefully and contact the Baker Middle School main office if you have any questions.
Daily Health Screening
As a part of our Return to Learn Plan, all students attending school in-person, will need to complete a daily health screening. Please note that you only have to submit the screening on the days your student is physically in class. It's very important that you do this by 7:45 am. Students will not be able to attend school in-person if the screenings are not done. This is not intended to be punitive in any way, but it is a critical measure in protecting the safety of all.
DAILY STUDENT HEALTH ASSESSMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Log in to your Parent Portal on PowerSchool
- Click “Student Assessment” in the banner across the top
- Answer 4 questions about your student’s health that day
- Click submit (and repeat the process for every student in your family)
It’s very important that you keep your student home if you answer “Yes” to any of the questions or your child is ill in any way. Don't forget--this doesn't mean they have to miss school. They can simply join virtually from home as they have been doing so far. We considered this in the designing of our hybrid plan.
Please call 248.823.4601 to report absences
Attendance is an important factor in your students academic success. Regular and punctual attendance is an expectation for our learning environment, regardless of the format! All student absences must be called in to our attendance hotline before school starts, the morning of your student’s absence (248.823.4601). The attendance hotline is available 24 hours per day.
Baker PTO Information
If you would like to get involved as a volunteer or receive more information about the PTO, please contact the board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to join the PTO Facebook Group: BakerMS PTO 2020-21.
Monday February 22nd at 7:30 pm PTO meeting via zoom.
We will share the Zoom link as we get closer to the meeting time.
Virtual Club Information
Virtual Clubs are now up and running. Please click on the link above to access our updated Virtual Club List. Information on meeting times, etc. will be communicated via Schoology by the club sponsors.
Yearbook Order Information