Q: I want my organization to start referring our client to Miracle Messages. Can I do it from anywhere?
A: Yes, you can...but only if we have a point of contact for your organization.
Miracle Messages' goal is to give any person who is experiencing homelessness--and who wants to reconnect--access our service. The tools outlined in this referral guide can be used to offer Miracle Messages anywhere, and we would love to see cases come in from everywhere that has a need, and from any organization that desires to offer our service.
The one stipulation for this is that Miracle Messages needs a way to get back in contact with the client in order to pursue the case. This means that Miracle Messages needs a reliable point-of-contact at our partner organization so that we can follow up and relay results. This can be any person who can act as a reliable liaison, who will be willing and able to relay information to clients about the status of their Miracle Messages case.
Q: It seems unlikely that most people experiencing homelessness will have phones...so how do you get back in touch with them if you find a loved one?
A: This is a challenge of working with this population. It is best overcome by 1) having a reliable point of contact, 2) planning ahead, and 3) setting expectations.
Being able to reach our clients again to relay messages and facilitate reconnections is a constant challenge. We admit it--there are times when a homeless client asks us to help them reconnect, and by the time we get in touch with the loved one we no longer have a way to reach our client again. This is hard, but it's the nature of our work.
We alleviate this challenge as best we can by having a reliable point of contact, planning ahead, and setting expectations with clients. Here's what that looks like in practice:
- A reliable point of contact: this is the designated person described above.
- Setting expectations: within 10 days of submitting a case, a volunteer will have made a good faith effort to resolve the case, unless there are unresolved issues (no point of contact, lack of clear information, etc.) Clients are encouraged to check on their cases by calling Miracle Messages at 1-800-MISS-YOU.
- Planning ahead: On our intake form, there is a highlighted section that says "how to reach again". This is highlighted for a reason! When you help someone start a Miracle Messages case, please make sure to emphasize that we want to be able to relay results, and that we need a reliable way to reach them.
Q: Can I communicate with Miracle Messages directly?
A: Yes! We try to make ourselves as available as possible to our partners, so that we can answer general questions, relay case-related information, and troubleshoot when necessary.
Here's how to reach us:
- Call 1-800-MISS-YOU. If no one answers, leave us a message.
- Email email@example.com
- Join us for a Case Solving Community Meeting.. The schedule for these phone meetings, and information on how to participate, is posted on our events calendar.
We really want to be in conversation with you about what's working, and what's not. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us!