Hydroelectric is a type of energy that uses a natural source- water. This means that we will never run of it. The way it works is: the water will build up in the reservoir which will then be released down the penstock with such force that it will turn the turbine that will generate energy into the powerhouse and through the long distance power lines to our homes.
The benefits of having a hydropower dam are:
- They are 90% efficient where as burning coal is only 30% efficient.
- They have a 50 to 100 lifetime guarantee and others only have 20 such as wind turbines.
- Once built, they only cost 7p to produce a single KWH( a kilowatt is the same as grams and kilograms but in a electricity term.
- They are highly reliable due to the water storage.
- They are also used for flood control.
As well as the dams lighting up towns and houses, they also can be used for water storage flood control and water sports. The most important thing is that we are using a healthy energy source and we are not letting out any carbon dioxide or greenhouse gasses.
Created with images by russmac - "dam river water" • WikiImages - "earth blue planet globe" • Yevhen1971 - "dam the dnieper hydroelectric" • PublicCo - "water waves ripples" • RJA1988 - "hoover dam colorado river nevada" • derstiefel - "bangkok skyline thailand" • pattyjansen - "ferns tree ferns australia" • MemoryCatcher - "penguins emperor antarctic" • robynm - "polar bear arctic wildlife" • AliceKeyStudio - "coral cay aquarium" • Pexels - "beach foam motion" • Alexas_Fotos - "giraffe wild animal stains" • YanCabrera - "hummingbird bird nature" • baluda - "africa elephant words" • Pexels - "animal tiger big cat"