- Dragonlance takes place in the magical world of Kyrnn.
- The inhabitance of Krynn include: humans (the most plentiful), elves, dwarfs, kender, gnomes, goblins, trolls, and dragons.
- The world has multiple moons, each hold magical properties.
- There are many waring colonies and armies in Krynn, Krynn is constantly filled with war, Its been that way ever since the "Cataclysm".
- The Cataclysm was a horrible event that took place when the Kingpriest of Istar demanded to have godlike powers in order to free the world from all evil.
- However, it back fired and unleashed a darkness that shook the world of Krynn to its knees, leaving it in constant war and dismay.
- Krynn is divided into multiple regions and continents, Two of the most important regions are Ansalon and Taladas.
- During the book a large part of the story takes place around the season of Autumn.
CAST OF CHARACTERS
"An unlikely group of heroes..."
The story begins with the group of friends: Tanis, Flint, Tasslehoff, Raistlin, Caramon, and Sturm reuniting after fives years at a Inn. It's been five long years since they've shared any adventures together, and they each have been through a lot. Upon entering the village they notice that a religious cult known as the "Seekers" have overrun the entire village. The Seekers are plotting with a group of fierce commander soldiers known as the Dragon Highlords. The Highlords are plotting to take over all of Ansalon (the continent where the story takes place). While all at the Inn the groups meets Goldmoon and her body guard, Riverwind. They learned of Goldmoons mysterious blue crystal staff and consequently theres a rumor going around that the seekers are after a staff that matches the description. The Dragon Highlords learn of the staff being at the inn and prepare to attack. This forces the group to escape before any conflict happens. While they escape, they're being pursued by the Dragon Highlord's fierce armies of Draconians. Draconians are evil dragon/humaniod hybrids. The companions then learn of the "disks of Mishakal", which hold teachings of the old gods. They think maybe by retrieving them, it would restore faith in the people of Krynn and help them fight back against the Dragon Highlords. They must travel to the ruined ancient city of Xak Tsaroth. There they learn more about the blue crystal staff, and more importantly what the Dragon Highlords true purpose is. The Dragon Highlords are preparing to resurrect an evil dragon goddess known as Takhisis. After retrieving the disks they leave the dark ruined city of Xak Tsaroth. As they leave the companions are captured by the Draconian armies and are held up as slaves along with the elves of Qualinesti. The elven kingdom where Tanis was raised. They realize that Qualinesti has been at war with the Draconian armies. One of the Dragon Highlords takes the "disks of Mishakal" and heads to his fortress of Pax Tharkas. Pax Tharkas is a a fortress that are using slaves to mine for precious materials. Laurana, the elf princess rescues Tanis and the others from the Draconians. Then back at Qualnesti the companions prepare to infiltrate Pax Tharkas, to free the slaves and take back the disks. However they know by doing so will most likely incite a blood-thirsty war..
The theme of "Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight", According to the author, Tracy Hickman, is the restoration of truth and faith. Each Dragonlance book has a different theme, but the first 3 books: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winters Night and Dragon's of Spring Dawning, all revolve around restoring faith to a world that has lost all hope. I believe that the first book also has friendship and companionship as a main central theme.