This rug pattern was the first one I made back in summer 2011 and it was published on my old blog back then. For this rug you need approximately 3 kilos of t-shirt yarn or other suitable yarn. The blue doily in the pictures is made of Scheepjes Stone Washed (1 skein, hook size 4 and diameter is approximately 30 cm).
The finished size of the rug is about 107 centimeters in diameter and I used hook size 10. The size of the rug can easily be changed, the blue doily in the pictures has for example 15 rounds instead of 18 as in the pattern. When adjusting the size the only thing you have to keep in mind is that before the lace edging, the rug should have an amount of stitches that can be divided with six.
If you choose to use some other yarn than t-shirt yarn for the rug (a yarn which doesn't stretch), you may want to make a few more increases than suggested in the written pattern. When making the doily for this pattern update, I made a few more increases (two instead of one during a couple of rows) when I noticed that the doily was starting to "form a cup" instead of staying flat.
The original rug from 2011. When changing to the next round I made the slip stitch at the end of each round to the back loop of the 3rd chain made at the beginning of the round. That way the seam became quite invisible in my opinion.
Abbreviations (US crochet terms)
sl st slip stitch
sc single crochet
dc double crochet
tr treble crochet
ch-2 sp chain 2 space
1. Ch 8 and join with a sl st to form a ring.
2. Ch 5 (= counts as 1 dc + ch 2), *1 dc to the ring, ch 2* repeat *-* 6 more times. At the end of the round crochet 1 sl st in top of first ch-3 of this rnd.
3. Ch 3 (= 1 dc), 2 dc to ch-2 sp, ch 2, *crochet 3 dc to ch-2 sp, ch 2*, repeat *-* 6 times. At the end of the round crochet 1 sl st to the first dc as before.
4. Ch 3 (= 1 dc), 2 dc to the next stitch, 1 dc, ch 2, *1 dc, 2 dc to the next stitch, 1 dc, ch 2*, repeat *-* to the end of the round. In sectors which are divided by chain 2 spaces, we have now 4 dc. At the end of the round crochet 1 sl st to the first dc as before.
5. Continue the same way, add in each of the 8 sectors 1 dc by making 2 dc at some point to the the same stitch (= 5 dc in one section). I have changed the place of the added double crochets in different rounds in order to keep the carpet in shape. Sometimes I’ve made them in the middle of the sector, sometimes just before the chain two space.
6. Crochet as before, add 1 dc in each sector (= 6 dc in sector).
7. Add 2 dc in each sector (= 8 dc in sector).
8. Add 1 dc in each sector (= 9 dc in each sector).
9. Add 1 dc in each sector (= 10 dc in each sector).
10. Add 1 dc in each sector (= 11 dc in each sector).
11. Add 2 dc in each sector (= 13 dc in each sector).
12. Add 1 dc in each sector (= 14 dc in each sector).
13. Add 1 dc in each sector (=15 dc in each sector).
14. Add 2 dc in each sector (= 17 dc in each sector).
15. Add 1 dc in each sector (= 18 dc in sector).
16. Add 1 dc in each sector (=19 dc in sector).
17. Add 1 dc in each sector (=20 dc in each sector).
18. Add 1 dc in each sector (=21 dc in each sector).