With Making Tax Digital, all businesses will eventually have to comply and keep records in a digital format. Traditionally many farmers keep manual records of their finances – and this may work well, but soon, if your turnover is over the VAT threshold you will have to change and keep digital records. This may seem quite daunting, however there is software available that can make this easy and will revolutionise the way you keep records – you may never want to look back (even if you could!)
First of all, it’s all about the cloud – not the thunderous looking one outside, looming over your head as you are about to start your day's work, but the digital software, accessible from any device, anywhere (well almost!). There are accounting software packages which means you can run your business on the go. Direct bank feeds to reconcile your bank in minutes, easy invoicing, vat reporting, expenses, and all in real time so that you can see where your business is at any time. With no worries about backing up data (backed up on the cloud), and no upfront costs – just monthly packages, you can be in control.
Now here is the clever bit, you can make this more bespoke for your farming business by linking it with an app. Whether you are a dairy, beef or arable farm, you can run it more efficiently.
Dairy and Beef Farming
- Collect information from across your farm to run your operation efficiently. Have a breakdown by individual animal or herd, look at milk solids, yield, grass covers, treatments and more.
- Animal profiles: Track feeding, create feeding plans, health servicing and set alerts to check animals regularly, weighing, calving and milking performance.
- Treatments: Record animals receiving treatment and withdrawn from milk production. Ensure remedies are stored and used correctly in line with compliance legislation and know exactly what remedies you have at hand.
- Movements: Animal movements on and off the farm usually means paperwork, record purchase details, haulier's details and all required animal identification. Notify the relevant government department electronically of all animal movements.
- Reporting: Have reports available for inspections or use them to increase the efficiency of your farm.
- Mapping: Visualise your farm. Map out your land and yard, colour code for crop or grazing platform to see an overview of your land use instantly. Record field activity with a simple drag and drop.
- Map out and manage your fields with total areas, buffer zones and crops.
- Soil and fertility: record soil tests and review history to ensure improvement plans are working.
- Record crop information: Planting - record crop type, planting dates, weather conditions and fields planted and then manage through the season.
- Spraying and fertilisers – when chemicals/fertilisers are purchased and how they are stored, track spraying/application, weather conditions, rates of application and growth states.
It will ensure all your information is accurate and up to date for your compliance inspections.
So if you need advice on this or any other issue, contact us for a free initial meeting.
firstname.lastname@example.org 01271 375271 01237 471881
If you like this article and would like our FREE updates sent straight to your inbox then subscribe to our monthly newsletter.