Dream Job: Cake Decorator
- A cake decorator must know basic baking skills in order to make the cake and learn about different methods to effectively decorate the cake and to pay attention to all the little details.
- On average, a cake decorator will earn around $25,000 per year.
Dream Vacation: Bahamas
- In my dream vacation in the Bahamas, I would stay at the new Hilton at Resorts World Bimini.
- This resort includes a lazy river pool, six restaurants and lounges, and a world class spa.
Safety and Sanitation
- This kitchen is an example of a bad safety standard. The woman in this picture has slipped on something that is on the floor and she is flying right into something that is cooking and could be dangerous. In order to prevent this from happening, kitchens should have clean floors and employees should clean up their mess if they spill.
- In the carnival lab we made a variety of foods that you might see at a carnival. This was helpful to what we were learning because it showed us different kinds of food that are served at different settings. We learned about ancient food in one lab, and then carnival foods in this one.
- In the steak lab we experimented with thermometers in measuring the internal temperatures of steak. We had been learning in class what temperatures meat should be cooked to and we practiced cooking the steaks to their correct temperatures.
A piece of kitchen equipment that I would love to have would be a Ninja Blender. It is sold on Best Buy for $69.99. It has 3 different speeds and can easily chop up frozen fruit and other solids.
Pumpkin Cupcake Lab
In this lab we made simple pumpkin cupcakes in a cupcake tin. It applied to what we were learning because we used techniques like mixing and baking that we had learned in class before. It also applied to the season because it was made around Halloween time.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lab
In this lab we made chicken cordon bleu in the shape of a mummy. It applied because we had to use a bread hook and we had learned about that before. We also had to make a creamy spread and had done that previously in the pizza lab.
In this lab the groups made different foods that had different types of sauces. In class we learned about the 5 types of sauces. My group made a barbecue-tomato sauce and that fell under the tomato category.