Technology is changing the world and has incorporated itself into every aspect of our lives whether we recognize that or not.
Literacy > Electracy (The Digital Writer, p. 18)
“Texts are never monomodal, never just written, but are always designed with multiple media, modes of communication, and methods of distribution in mind” (Writer/Designer, p. 6)
Fundamental goals of writing and designing are the same:
- to think critically about the kinds of communication that are needed in any given situation
- to choose sources and assets that will help create an effective text
- to work within and fulfill your audience’s needs and goals
- to improve communication through the finished text
- to create change or encourage positive action through a text (Writer/Designer, p. 6)
Analyzing texts is important because you can 1) listen to and appreciate the perspective of others and 2) learn how to make your own multimodal arguments for the good of all.
To see the Affordances and limitations.
People who excel at integrating new approaches and tech have the following mindset:
- An openness to seeking help from a variety of sources
- A positive attitude toward change
- Vulnerability and a willingness to take risks
- A commitment to problem-solving
Ask yourself: What does my audience need?