- Note from Team Ummeed
- Dr Vibha Krishnamurthy on TED Talks India Nayi Baat
- Differently Together Campaign on Inclusion
- International Developmental Pediatrics Association Congress, Manila
- Ten Years of Ummeed’s 55km Walk in Goa
- Weaving Our Voices Conference on Narrative Practices
- How to Talk to Children Regarding the Corona Virus - A Resource
Note from team ummeed
This newsletter features some highlights from November 2019 to March 2020. We hope that the positive stories we have to share will provide a much needed break from the health crisis related news! For those of you with young children we have included a link at the end of the newsletter on how to talk to children about the virus.
We start with our Founder and Executive Director - Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy who spoke about including children with disability for TED Talks India Nayi Baat.
A team from Ummeed attended the 3rd International Developmental Pediatrics Association Congress (IDPAC) 2019 in Manila, where the theme for the congress was "Transdisciplinary Interventions - Ideas in Action". As President of the IDPA, Vibha kicked off the opening ceremony.
December 3 is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, we organized an online awareness campaign called #DifferentlyTogether on inclusion of children with disabilities.
The 55 Km Walk for Ummeed in Goa, our flagship fundraising event turned ten this year, to date we have had 280 unique walkers, between the ages of 7 to 82!
Ummeed hosted Weaving Our Voices, the Second International Narrative Practices Conference in India from January 30-February 4, 2020. This conference brought together voices from diverse contexts across India and the world, weaving narrative ideas and practices into a collective story.
We are sharing this update at a time where there is a global health crisis, and we hope that you and your loved ones will stay safe and healthy at this time. We hope to continue to work for our children – using online and phone channels to stay in touch and support them when meeting them in person is not possible.
Dr Vibha Krishnamurthy on TED Talks India
We are excited to share with you the link to the recent episode of TED Talks India Nayi Baat in which our founder and executive director, Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy has spoken passionately on including children with disabilities.
We hope that hearing her will inspire you to join the movement by reaching out to a child with disability today. Do share the video with your family, friends and networks.
Differently Together Campaign on inclusion
#DifferentlyTogether was an online awareness campaign on the inclusion of children with disabilities which ran for two weeks across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram leading up to the International Day of Persons with Disabilities on December 3.
The goal of the campaign was to build awareness on inclusion and early identification through the stories of self-advocates, parents and teachers. We wanted to encourage the online community to engage, discuss and share their own experiences and opinions on inclusion and disability.
Highlights of the Campaign
1. The campaign kicked off with an "Ask me Anything" event on inclusion and disability in schools, through Ummeed's social media channels.
2. A 12 day online crowd-sourcing ideas event on “how schools can be made inclusive for children with disabilities” had people from all across India and even from other countries participate. We are compiling the ideas to create a consolidated document that we hope to share soon with you and others.
3. We have created and disseminated five in-house produced videos – these are interviews of self-advocates, parents and teachers.
4. A Self-Advocates Twitter Chat was held on December 3, the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
5. 15 FAQs on Disabilities – this was so popular that we have decided to make this into a brochure that we can share with professionals and families who visit our centers.
Total People Reached (Number of timelines on which the content appeared): 312,000 +
Total Video Views across five videos: 95,000 +
Total Engagements (including likes, comments and shares): 14,500 +
International Developmental Pediatrics Association Congress (IDPAC) 2019
The 3rd International Developmental Pediatrics Association Congress (IDPAC), was hosted by the Philippine Society for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics (PSDBP) in Manila, Philippines, from December 9-12, 2019.
Ummeed’s Dr Vibha Krishnamurthy is the president of IDPA and kicked off the conference. The Ummeed team also showcased their work on various topics including our work on participation outcomes, innovative ideas to promote inclusion and supporting the mental health of young adults.