We noticed that those with an inability to pop balloons were less happy than those who COULD pop a balloon. We decided that it was our DUTY to create a machine that was able to do so for you. The ability to pop a balloon is a NECESSITY, and we are PROUD to bring you a machine that can do so with an easy start of pushing a car.
Inclined plane- we used cardboard as a ramp of sorts for a marble to roll down. This is a inclined plane because it has the marble roll down.
Class 3 lever- We used dominoes, which I would consider as class 3 levers, because they increase the distance that the next one is moving. The dominoes fall and they go farther.
Wedge- The second car we use was attached to spikes, and it forcefully hit the ending balloon. It got hit by something so it is counted as a wedge. The hammer which was used like a pendulum hit the car so that it would pop the balloon.
Class 1 lever- The domino tin can be used as a lever because it hits the hammer and makes it swing.
Examples of energy transfers within our large machine would consist of our first act, a car pushing into dominoes that would hit a marble, sending a flurry of marbles into a large golf ball, which hit a domino top, which hit a hammer hanging off of a thick string. The hammer swung at our spiky car, and pushed into our balloon, popping it.
Grow- The hardest parts of this project were probably figuring out would would be able to send such a massive body into our car. We had tried dozens of different ways that would hopefully result in a loud POP, but most left us hanging, until the very end. Also, trying to be able to fully control where everything went proved to be harder than just building it.
Glow- The best part of this project, at least in my opinion, was the last event. The first thing we did when we created our machine was figure out what would pop the balloon in the end. We discovered that by attaching an odd stick, tape, and thumb tacks, the balloon popped quite easily, and this immediately worked well.
Dividing tasks was a rather easy feat, and we just filled in what needed to be done. Perhaps it wasn’t the most organized way of doing so, but it got things done. We ended up building our project backwards, creating the machine from end to beginning. We got the very last step on the first try, but nothing else was so easy. The next thing we did was use a box top to elevate the dominoes that would push a marble down a ramp. Unfortunately, the box top was much too tall. We looked everywhere for a proper substitute, but nothing had such a perfect surface. Luckily, my associate got the bright idea to cut off the part of the box top that was too tall. It worked wonderfully, and created a perfect elevation. After that success, we began to work on top of the box top. We placed dominoes on the corner of it, and ended up replacing the dominoes about every 15 seconds. They led to a marble that would send many more into a golf ball. We luckily got all of our marbles back in the end, but through the process we chased down quite a few. After this, I attempted to use a metal stand and string to hold up a large body to push our spiky car. This attempt was a failure, but not in vain, as this gave us the idea to use a much larger stand, a chair. We used the chair and thick string to hold a hammer. This was, perhaps, the large mass we were looking for. As we pulled back the hammer to test it, our hope escalating every second, it released and pushed the spiky car across the table and into the Ziploc bag, making an unsatisfying plop. We decided that we couldn’t go on using Ziploc bags. Just in the nick of time, a kind group lent us one of their balloons, and we got our wonderful POP.