In 1882 Religious of the Sacred Heart from Roehampton, England and opened Australian School in Claremont, a private home in which they rented for £300 on arrival and purchased two years later. The main school started getting built in 1884 and was completed in 1888 and the chapel designed by John Hobury Hunt was finished in 1900.
What the school used to be
The Students when Kincoppal first opened
When Rose Bay Convent started there was only five students. By the end of the week the number of Students had doubled to ten.
On the 9th of May, 1882, at 7:30 AM, the five nuns were dropped off at had entered Sydney Heads S.S Orient. The Orient was anchored for about five hours because they had to make sure everyone was in good health and it was safe to get off. Once it was finally safe to get off the five nuns were dropped off at Circular Quay to start the Society of the Sacred Heart. On the wharf with the five nuns was also Mr and Mrs John Hughes and their two eldest daughters, Maria and Jane. After waiting for half an hour they were picked up and started driving along Pitt Street.
The Orient was built by John Elder and Co in 1879. She was the first ship built for Orient Stream Navigation and also made for Australian mail service. The Orient was a 5,386 gross ton ship, (length) 140,21 metres long, (beam) 14,12 metres (depth) 10,67 metres. She was the biggest ship to go on the Australian route and took 37 days and 22 hours to get from London to Adelaide.
What was Australia like in 1882
Australia back in 1882 was actually 6 separate colonies, we call them states today. New South Wales in 1882 would have been a colony but today we know it as a state. Back in 1882 the states were colonies of Great Britain. The colonies didn't come together as their own country and become states until 1st of January 1901. When the Nuns came they would have known the states as colonies. Our school is actually older than the commonwealth of Australia.