Predicting the future
My personal prediction for this project will play out like this. The three functions will mainly focus on movement and intelligence of the AI for the HUPION such as answering questions and such. As for the casing, it will consist of mainly papier-mâché with some wiring and an external casing so the paper Mache doesn't drop down the Lego and damage the circuitry.
Once we got hands onto our materials we were using, we started to prototype and make the ideas come to life. Our first prototype was the wheels (movement) for the spiders. Below is the first prototype for the wheels.
Extremely Basic Prototype of Movement
We then moved onto the second feature which was the scorpion tail, this was also and extremely basic prototype and only showed the skeleton of the tail while on the motor. EDIT : This prototype is discontinued as we have found an extremely efficient way of transportation using a smaller wheel.
Base shape and skeleton of the tail
As we dove deeper into prototyping we decided to come up with a short log book marking our journey on the way
Prototyping log book
Log 1: Our first prototype of the spider mechanism failed and caused a malfunction during the movement test. The cause of this malfunction was shortage of a piece, therefore obstructing the piece that helps the movement of the spiders legs. We are considering taking apart the spider to rebuild and consider rethinking the design of our current project. In my opinion, rebuilding would be the best option the reassure the future of our project.
Log 2: The Hupion has been rebuilt and is in better condition. The second prototype uses clothes hanger for the mobility. We have solved the first prototypes problem and now is fully function able, however, the prototypes durability is at its lowest and will be reinforced in the next prototype.
Log 3: Our group has been focusing on programming the spider. 3 functions has been added like, Moving when seeing an object in front of the sensor, Responding to questions and advanced movements. This will ensure the spider to be fully in depth and entertaining towards to user.
Log 4: The spider has been breaking apart a lot lately, so we are trying to figure a way to reinforce the chassis. The connector between the main wheels and the motor is extremely weak so we are trying a way to strengthen the connection while keeping the spiders original intended shape. With that in mind a new part was successfully found and the spider was now strengthened. Withstanding rough terrain and other harsh conditions without breaking.