Mark Your Calendar
Monday, Jan. 1st
- School Closed - Winter Break
Tuesday, Jan. 2nd - Day 4
- School Resumes
- Boys' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Phoenixville 3:30pm @ Phoenixville MS Gym
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Phoenixville 3:45pm @ 500 Gym
- Boys' Middle School Basketball (B) vs. Phoenixville 4:30pm @ Phoenixville MS Gym
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (B) vs. Phoenixville 4:45pm @ 500 Gym
Wednesday, Jan. 3rd - Day 5
- 515 Building: Middle School Coding & Robotics Program 3:30pm - 4:30pm @ 515 Building, Room 337
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Scott MS 3:45pm @ 500 Gym
- Science Fair Committee Meeting 5:00pm - 6:00pm @ 435 Conference Room
Thursday, Jan. 4th - Day 6
- 535 Building: Principal Coffee Chat with Parents 8:30am @ 535 Conference Room
- 150 Building: Elementary Student Council Meeting 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ Room 902
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Renaissance Academy 3:45pm @ 500 Gym
- Girls' Varsity Basketball vs. Mercy Vocational HS 3:45pm @ Gustine Recreation Center
- Boys' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Renaissance Academy 5:00pm @ 500 Gym
Friday, Jan. 5th - Day 1
- Boys' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Owen J. Roberts MS 3:45pm @ 500 Gym
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (A) vs. Owen J. Roberts MS 3:45pm @ Owen J Roberts MS
- Boys' Middle School Basketball (B) vs. Owen J Roberts MS 4:45pm @ 500 Gym
- Girls' Middle School Basketball (B) vs. Owen J. Roberts MS 4:45pm @ Owen J Roberts MS
Saturday, Jan. 6th
- Girls' Varsity Basketball vs. Henderson HS 12:00pm @ 535 Gym
- Boys' Junior Varsity Basketball vs. Henderson HS 1:30pm @ 535 Gym
- Boys' Varsity Basketball vs. Henderson HS 2:45pm @ 535 Gym
Winter Keystone Exams
The Pennsylvania State Keystone Exams will be held Monday, January 8th through Thursday, January 11th at our 535 Building. The exam schedule is:
Literature Keystone Exam
- Monday, January 8th
- Tuesday, January 9th
Algebra 1 Keystone Exam
- Wednesday, January 10th
- Thursday, January 11th
All testing starts at 7:45am. Students should make sure to get a good night's rest and eat a healthy breakfast before taking their Keystone Exam(s).
Students who are absent during Keystone testing will participate in makeup testing on Friday, January 12th, Tuesday, January 16th, or Wednesday, January 17th, as needed.
Please take a moment to review informative Keystone Exam resources below.
Questions? Please email our Curriculum Coordinator for Grades 7-12, Mrs. Ratti.
Each week, CCS Administrators highlight common terms and philosophies in education, and explain how they impact teaching and learning at Collegium. This week's contribution comes from Kristin Camburn, 150 Building Assistant Principal.
Enrich, Extend, Remediate
This school year, Collegium’s Kindergarten through 6th Grade students are participating in a half-hour block of “E.E.R time” each day. “E.E.R.” stands for “Enrich, Extend, and Remediate.”
E.E.R time aligns with principles of “Mastery Learning,” a powerful teaching method that is the subject of extensive educational research. It is based on the conclusion that students learn at different rates and through different modalities, but that all students have the ability to reach high levels of achievement when the necessary time and learning conditions are present (Guskey, Thomas. “Interventions That Work,” Educational Leadership, October 2010, v. 68, Issue 2, pp. 52-57).
In Mastery Learning, teachers assess student learning early and often during instruction. The results help shape later instruction for students. For those who learn the content earlier, enrichment and extension activities can be included to challenge and reward that learning (Guskey, 2010). Remediation, or “‘teaching again’ content that students failed to learn,” can be incorporated for students who have not yet mastered the unit content. (Marzano, Robert. Art and Science of Teaching / Reviving Reteaching, Educational Leadership, v. 68, Issue 2, p. 82). The instruction timeline remains the same for all of the students.
The goal of E.E.R time is for teachers to use data from benchmark results, formative assessments, and summative assessments to program for individual student needs, allowing students to have the time and learning conditions necessary to achieve content mastery.
Collegium’s K-6 Teachers have the opportunity to collaborate with one another when planning for this time. The use of flexible groups and learning centers during E.E.R. time also allows teachers to address individual student needs and strengths.
Based on the proven success of Mastery Learning, we are optimistic about its outcomes for Collegium’s Kindergarten through 6th Grade students!
Science Fair Judges Needed
The 1st-12th Grade Science Fair needs judges! The Science Fair is scheduled for Wednesday, January 17th. Prior judging experience and/or a science background are not required, as all new judges are placed on teams with experienced judges!
A Judges' Training will be offered on Wednesday, January 10th from 6:00pm until 7:00pm in our 435 Building Conference Room. The training is not mandatory, but it is recommended.
Please email Mrs. Tobin if you have questions or would like to be a judge!
Collegium at Longwood Gardens
The CCS Art Department is proud to have been selected again to decorate a Children's Tree at Longwood Gardens. Students in grades K-12 created adorable ocean-themed ornaments for the tree.
Our tree will be on display until Sunday, January 7th. For details and ticketing information, please check the Longwood Gardens website via the link below.
1st Annual CCS Outgrown & Vendor Sale
On Saturday, May 19, 2018, the HSA will hold its first Annual CCS Outgrown & Vendor Sale. Please save the date, and add this exciting event to your family calendars.
The HSA will hold a planning meeting and work session on Sunday, January 21st from 2:00pm until 4:00pm in the 435 Building Conference Room. The goal of the meeting is to solidify plans for the event.
If you are interested in being a part of the planning committee, volunteering at the event, or having a vendor space, please complete the interest form at the link. The HSA will contact you with related details. Thank you!
Simply shop at AmazonSmile and choose Collegium Charter School as your charity. A percentage of your purchase will be donated back to CCS!
Download the free app, shop as you normally do, and then snap a picture of your receipt to earn money for Collegium.