Hello Falcon Families!
I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend!
Important District Information
Reminder - Summer Intervention
In order to best support our College Preparatory students academically and socially/emotionally, we will be adjusting our Flex Block to be intervention specific beginning Monday, June 11th.
- Students will be dismissed daily at 3:30pm and our faculty will be holding core academic interventions. Teachers will communicate recommendations to both students and parents weekly.
- This will provide students consistent core academic intervention, and an additional time to enjoy during our summer months.
- Parents that would prefer their student to stay for the intervention hour, or are unable to arrange for transportation at 3:30pm, please know that all of our faculty and staff will be present. There will be space and faculty support for students wanting/needing to stay until 4:30pm.
New items to be aware of
Standards-Based Reporting - Fall 2018!
As we make our transition over the next few months to standards-based reports, we will be sharing information regarding our Competencies and broader curriculum design. Our standards-based reports will directly reflect students' performance with Essential Academic Practices (EAPs) and Essential Course/Content Competencies (ECCs) rather than just the limited traditional representation of a letter grade and course. Our standards-based reports will provide students and parents a detailed view of learning and skill progression.
We are also working on a Mastery Transcript sample to reflect how our students are progressing annually with their General Education Outcomes (GEOs) and General Education Mindsets (GEMs). We hope to have a version to share with families for review in July. Please use the button to read further about standards-based reporting.
We will start this week with our Four Core Pillars: Our Core Pillars are the essential foundation to our overall curriculum and student experience. Our Core Pillars create a foundational alignment between our vision, mission, values, and purpose. It is from these pillars that we drive our approach, our designs, and our decisions.
#1 - Academic Growth Mindset
#2 - Effective Communication and Collaboration
#3 - Positive Self-Agency
#4 - Modern Global Citizenship
We believe that these four core pillars are essential in understanding JPEC's focus, intentions, and designs. Next week, we will share how these are connected to our General Education Outcomes (GEOs) and our General Education Mindsets (GEMs).
Flexible Modular Scheduling - Flex Mod
We will continue to share information regarding our planning and implementation of this new design each week. Understanding the different types of "time modules" is important in understanding the overall structure.
- 30 minutes Mod - Resource time and/or small group direct instruction
- 60 minutes Mod - Normal standard class with direct instruction and independent practice
- 90/120 minutes Mod - Lab based, large group, integrated studies, team teaching, interactive lecture
A statement and belief shared among schools that utilize this scheduling practice is that "time should serve students, students shouldn't serve time." We also believe this to be true. From the design of our school day, to the academic year, we believe in creating systems that are responsive to our students' needs and that ultimately serve them in achieving success.