Impulsive Instrument is a duo featuring Butoh dancer Azumi Oe and double bassist Sean Ali. The two artists collaborated for the first time in Katsura Kan’s New York production of Senryu Butoh at the Kraine Theatre in November of 2015. They began performing as a duo in 2016 investigating the rich spectrum of possibilities from the combination of solo dance and solo instrument, which they occasionally augment with tape collage and spoken word. Central themes that have emerged from their dynamic performance history include exploring the intersection of noise and pre-language bodies, emerging and submerging memories that both enrich and threaten systems of meaning-making, and the stretching and condensing of time in the weight of empty space.
- December 19th 2015: Point B Gallery (Brooklyn,NY) w/ Melissa Lohman & Brendan Burke
- April 2nd, 2016: Ideal Glass (New York, NY)
- April 3rd, 2016: ABC No Rio (New York, NY)
- April 22nd, 2016: Cloud City (Brooklyn, NY)
- November 6th, 2016: Gallery 456 (New York, NY)
- March 25th, 2017: Home Audio (Brooklyn, NY)
- June 2nd, 2017: Rockwall Studios (Brooklyn, NY)
- June 30th, 2017: Mott St Rooftop (New York, NY)
- October 28th, 2017: Sunview Lunchnet (Brooklyn, NY)
- December 16th, 2017: Gallery Max (New York, NY) w/ Melissa Lohman
- February 8th, 2018: Spectrum (Brooklyn, NY)
- March 17th, 2018: Queens Museum (Queens, NY)
- May 5th, 2018: HouseHouseHouse (Brooklyn, NY)
- June 2nd, 2018: De-construkt (Brooklyn, NY)
- June 21st, 2018: Brackish (Brooklyn, NY)
- August 19th, 2018: Mirror in the Woods (Brooklyn, NY) w/Flavio Arganceli, Melissa Lohman, Ben Gerstein, Joanna Mattrey, Carlo Costa
- November 27th, 2018: Jane Hotel Ball Room (New York, NY) w/ Carlo Costa
- January 10, 11, 12th, 2019 Triskelion Arts “Never Before Never Again Festival “ (Brooklyn, NY) w/ Carlo Costa
- April 5th, 2019: The Baumann (Brooklyn, NY)
W h o a re th ey?
azumi O E was born and raised in Kyoto, Japan. She is former principal dancer of New York-based Butoh company Vangeline Theatre performed in many festivals and events in the US for over 8 years. She joined as an assistant choreographer and main dancer for Butoh Master Katsura Kan’s several tours in US, Central America, China, Russia, Japan and Europe. Her own solo work was presented in New York, Boulder, Beijing, Moscow, St.Petersburg, Helsinki, San Miguel de Allende, Puebra, Stuttgart and Japan. As well as she worked as a dancer/choreographer for Video Sculpture artist Katja Loher, visual/performance artist Ayakamay, collaborative work for MARCK his video art and live performances, on going duo project with Bassist Sean Ali, interactive sound project or experimental film and many more. azumi is constantly at work on wide range of collaborative, solo project.
© azumi O E