Listening with Care
At Bethel God is shifting our focus to the at least one in three people right here in our community who are unchurched or dechurched.
Last week we talked about Listening with Care to the dreams, hopes, fears, and struggles of people who don’t know Jesus yet. May we have open ears and open hearts to listen to those God puts in our path.
Last week a bunch of our ladies gathered for a painting party. They ate and they painted beautiful canvases together. It was a great time and we hope to have more events like it. Thanks especially to Shelly Johnson and Debbie Olson for their hard work in putting it together!
We have been focusing on the last days of Jesus as he approaches the cross. Last Wednesday we walked through his prayer in the garden of Gethsemane and his arrest and betrayal. We acted it our together and it helped give all of us a new perspective on Jesus, his last days, and the sacrifice he made.
At church on Sunday we covered the second of five missional practices to intentionally introduce people to Jesus. Listen with Care. The most important questions most unchurched people are asking of Christians these days comes down to can we be trusted? One way we can build real and trusting relationships with unchurched and dechurched people is through asking questions and really listening.
When we promised 5 missional practices anyone can do to draw people to relationships with Jesus I meant it! Eating is not only something anyone can do, it's something everyone does! Here are some ideas to make eating with non-Christians and the unchurched a regular part of your life.
- Have dinner together in your home or at a restaurant.
- Share a pizza.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee together.
- Host a holiday party.
- Organize a block party or backyard neighborhood BBQ.
- Include others in your family celebrations.
- Try new restaurants together.
- Add one person to one meal per week.
- Throw a small dinner party.
- Join with another couple to connect friends to friends.
- Create an affinity group (i.e.. Beer & Bible)
- Teach someone how to cook.
- Share a holiday meal.
- Attend their party or event.
Pray for Bethel
- Pray that we will make individual connections and build relationships of trust with people who don’t know Jesus.
- Pray that God will draw unchurched people closer to him through Bethel Covenant.
- Pray that God will raise up our future leaders
- Finally pray for me, your Pastor.