- The Democratic Party was so strong in Texas that every governor elected between 1845 and 1857 were democrat.
- Because they usually had little to fear from opposing political groups, the Democrats often fought among themselves
- In its absence, many Whigs in the North joined the newly formed Republican Party.
- Republicans believed that slavery should be banned in all states and territories of the United States
- In the mid-1850s a third party, the American Party, were more commonly called the Know-Nothing Party, entered the U.S political scene