Meet Stephanie Levine, Athlete Leadership and Family Services Coordinator
Stephanie joined us this past August during her move back to Denver from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Prior to living there, she was a high school special education teacher in Commerce City for four years. Stephanie has a strong connection to our community and is a passionate advocate alongside of our athletes on our journey towards inclusion. She kicked off our ALPs U Program in the Fall at the University of Denver and is excited to get the ball rolling for the upcoming semester!!
Stress Management Suggestions through Strong Minds
Need some suggestions for how to keep the mind healthy and strong during this time of physical distancing?
Tips from the CDC on Managing Stress and Anxiety with your Family.
• Take time to talk with your family about the COVID-19 outbreak. Answer questions and share facts about COVID-19 in a way that each family member can understand.
• Reassure your family that they are safe. Let them know it is ok if they feel upset. Share with them how you deal with your own stress so that they can learn how to cope from you. Weekly, SOCO will be posting Emotional Wellness tools onto our Fit 5 Facebook Page.
• Limit your family’s exposure to news coverage of the event, including social media. It can be easy to misinterpret what is being said and can be frightening.
• Try to keep up with regular routines. With schools and practices being disrupted, create a schedule for learning, relaxing and fun activities.
• Be a role model. Take breaks, get plenty of sleep, exercise, and eat well. Connect with your friends and family members. Join the Fit 5 Challenge, helping you stay both healthy and connected!
Family Health Forum
This year Special Olympics Colorado is excited to be hosting a Family Health Forum. At the forum, we look forward to offering a variety of local resources, services, and partners, a speaker series, and plenty of fun giveaways! Stay tuned for more details.
Congratulations to Smoky Hill & Mead High School!
Thanks for Plunging!
Meet Chaka Sutton, Senior VP of Competitive Programs and Unified Schools
Favorite Sports: College Football (to watch) and Golf (to play)
Hometown: Greenville, MS
Hobbies: Cooking, golf, and family
What do you love about SOCO? Being able to see the impact of our work at the grassroots level and seeing the lives it changes daily. Knowing that it not only impacts our athletes but it also impacts our coaches, Unified partners and volunteers and their entire community just as much.
If you have questions about Unified Champion Schools, contact Chaka at firstname.lastname@example.org!