Why did it take a long time for the United States to annex Texas?
They wanted to become a slave state.
War With Mexico
How did the Santa Fe Trail benefit the New Mexico Territory?
It created more states.
The New Mexico Territory
- In the early 1800's, the land called New Mexico was a vast region between the Texas and California territories.
- Native Americans had lived in the area for thousands of years.
- Mexico and New Mexico won its independence form Spain in 1821.
How did William Becknell influence the American settlement of New Mexico?
The Santa Fe Trail influenced the American Settlement of New Mexico.
California's Spanish Culture
- Spanish explorers and missionaries from Mexico settled California in the 1700's.
- After Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821, California became a Mexican state.