TALLADEGA COUNTY 9-1-1 CENTER
26715 AL HWY 21, TALLADEGA, AL 35160
MONDAY, JANUARY 21, 2019, 10AM & 2PM
Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 2pm & 6pm
Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 2pm & 6pm
Thursday, january 24, 2019, 10am & 2pm
WHAT IS A CAREER OPEN HOUSE?
This career open house will offer potential applicants the opportunity to visit our 9-1-1 dispatch center, hear a presentation about all that the job of a Public Safety Telecommunicator (PST) entails, have an opportunity to ask any questions about the career, and take a tour of our center. If becoming a PST interests you, you will have an opportunity to submit an application on site at the end of the open house. Each open house is expected to last 1.5 to 2 hours.
WHAT IS A 9-1-1 PUBLIC SAFETY TELECOMMUNICATOR?
A 9-1-1 PST is the first person to speak with someone in need of assistance. They gather information from callers in order to create a call for service to be dispatched to responders. They can provide instructions to callers to help the situation until responders arrive on scene.
They are the FIRST first responder.
WHY SHOULD YOU WANT TO BEcome A 9-1-1 PUBLIC SAFETY TELECOMMUNICATOR?
9-1-1 telecommunications is a public safety position that requires skill, dedication, and a duty to serve others. The PST works hand in hand with all facets of emergency services to help the community in times of need. It is a honorable profession in the public safety sector that many have made their career.
9-1-1 needs more dedicated individuals that have a desire and drive to help others. Does this describe you? If so, this career open house offers you an opportunity to start taking steps toward a future in Public Safety.
pst job description:
JOB SUMMARY: The Public Safety Telecommunicator (PST) is responsible for answering non-emergency calls that come into the 9-1-1 Center. A PST shall answer all calls in a timely manner, efficiently assess and prioritize each situation, and operate with the goal of promoting public and responder safety. Depending on the nature of the call, the PST may assist callers by answering questions, referring the caller to the appropriate agency or creating a call for service to be given to a response agency.
FURTHER DEFINITION OF POSITION: The Talladega County 9-1-1 Center is a consolidated 9-1-1 center, and all calls for service in the county are dispatched by the 9-1-1 center’s Public Safety Telecommunicators. The Consolidated Communications Center serves 31 agencies and is staffed with personnel in the following positions: Communications Training Coordinator, Communication Supervisors, Communications Training Officer, Public Safety Telecommunicator III, Public Safety Telecommunicator II, Public Safety Telecommunicator I, and Public Safety Telecommunicator.
When handling any calls for service, the PST gathers and inputs information into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, but they are not responsible for the dispatch of calls. The PST is expected to follow standard operating procedures and agency guidelines. The PST handles only non-emergency calls that come into the 9-1-1 Center on non-emergency lines. Calls for service are referred to Law Enforcement or Fire/EMS PST’s.
PROMOTABLE POSITIONS: The PST may be able to promote by obtaining training in additional skills, depending on the recommendation of the training staff, supervisor and the needs of the 9-1-1 Center.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: While being trained, the PST will receive supervision from a member of the training division. Once released from training, the PST would be supervised by a Communication Supervisor. The performance of the PST will be monitored, with the expectation that the PST will function within acceptable standards, written agency guidelines, and performance objectives.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: This position does not hold supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Able to clearly speak, understand and read English
- Basic computer skills & knowledge of office equipment
- Understand how to read maps
- Awareness of and respect for diverse populations within the county
- Phone & customer service skills
- Typing skills: 30 words per minute, minimum
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Hold valid driver’s license
- Have obtained high school diploma or equivalent
- Pass a drug screen, physical & pre-employment background check
- Have no convictions of felony or crime of moral turpitude
Applicant must be able to:
- Perform tasks requiring attention to detail and maintained concentration (75-100% of the time)
- Communicate by speaking, articulating & enunciating clearly in English (75-100% of the time)
- Sit at a desk or console for extended periods of time (75-100% of the time)
- Perform tasks requiring use of your hands (75-100% of the time)
- Perform tasks requiring coordinated movements of two or more limbs (75-100% of the time)
- Distinguish between colors on a color-coded computer screen (75-100% of the time)
- Wear a headset for long periods of time (75-100% of the time)
- Occasionally walk, stand or stoop (less than 25% of the time)
- Write legibly in English (25-75% of the time)
- Pass a physical exam which includes a check of hearing and vision standards
A successful applicant should have experience working with computers or data entry. Experience working in customer service, under stressful situations, and multi-tasking, is helpful.
- Paid Training
- Employee Assistance Program
- Alabama State Retirement System
- Night Shift Differential Pay
- Longevity Pay
- Incentive Pay
- Single Coverage Medical and Dental Insurance is 100% Employer Paid
- Family Coverage Medical and Dental Insurance is 71.715% Employer Paid
- One Time Pay Increase
- 13 Paid Holidays - 104 Hours annually
- Sick Leave - 96 Hours annually (Available only after successful completion of probationary period)
- Annual Leave - 80 Hours annually initially with increases based on years of service (Available only after successful completion of probationary period)
if interested in applying but Not able to attend one of our open houses you can submit your application through our website under "staff" & "employment"
Applications will be open beginning january 14th & will close January 25th
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT OUR OPEN HOUSE!