Mark Your Calendar
Monday, Oct. 23rd - Day 2
- 515 Building: Spirit Week Begins (Sponsored by MS Student Council - See Article)
- Original Works Fundraiser Begins
- Fencing Club 3:30pm - 5:30pm @ 515 Gym
- 468 Building: Kindergarten STEM Club 4:15pm - 5:30pm @ Room 418
- HS Volleyball: TCISL Semifinal vs Perkiomen School 5:00pm @ Perkiomen
Tuesday, Oct. 24th - Day 3
- 468/486 Building: Kindergarten Field Trip to Cherry Crest Farms (Yanoviak, Garsils, Miller, Dunn, and Llewellyn) - Postponed to November 1st
- HS Soccer: TCISL Quarterfinal vs Phelps School 3:00pm @ Phelps School
- Fencing Club 3:30pm - 5:30pm @ 515 Gym
- 150 Building: Grades 2-4 Art Club 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ 150 Art Room, 827
- 150 Building: Grades K & 1 Art Club 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ 150 Art Room, 908
- Middle School Soccer 3:45pm @ Woodlynde School
- 468/486 Building: Grades K & 1 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 468 Art Room, Rm. 425
- CCS Athletics: Cross Country Team Celebration 5:00pm - 6:00pm @ 515 Cafeteria
Wednesday, Oct. 25th - Day 4
- 468/486 Building: Kindergarten Field Trip to Cherry Crest Farms (Zane, Moran, and Stauffer)
- Grades 7-12: End of 1st Marking Period
- 468/486 Building: Grades 2-4 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 486 Art Room, 532
- High School Cross Country TCISL Championship 4:00pm @ Perkiomen School
Thursday, Oct. 26th - Day 5
- 5th Grade Field Trip to the Da Vinci Science Center (Chandler, Naylis, Berry, Mullin [Maccario] and, Fowlkes)
- 150 Elementary Student Council Meeting 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ Room 902
- 500 Building: Grades 5 & 6 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 500 Building Room 228
- 150 Building: 3rd and 4th Grade STEM Club 4:15pm - 5:30pm @ Room 951
- Elementary ESL Family Night 6:00pm - 7:30pm @ 486 Cafeteria
Friday, Oct. 27th - Day 6
- CCS Flu Clinic on Campus
- K-12 Fall Yearbook Dress Your Best Day (See Article)
- High School Cross Country PIAA District I Championship 9:30am @ Lehigh University
- 515 Building: Principal Coffee Chat with Parents 2:00pm - 3:00pm @ 515 Conference Room
- 150 Building: 4th Grade Rec. Night 6:00pm - 8:00pm @ 150 Cafeteria/Gym East (Room 804)
- 535 Building: Movie Night Sponsored by Black Student Union (I Am Legend) 7:00pm - 10:00pm @ 535 Gym
- 515 Building Fall Harvest Dance 6:00pm - 8:00pm @ 515 Cafeteria
Saturday, October 28th
- ACT Testing
- HS History Club: Trip to Eastern State Penitentiary for Historical Tour 11:30am - 6:30pm
Picture Retake Day
Our Picture Retake Day is scheduled for Monday, November 13th. Students who were absent on their original picture day will have their photos taken on Picture Retake Day and students who are unhappy with their original photos may have their photos retaken.
For retakes, return the picture packet to the photographer on Picture Retake Day. No payment is required for retakes.
For a student who was absent, please provide an order envelope (below) and payment if photos are being ordered.
Middle School Robotics and Technology Coding Program
Collegium is proud to announce our partnership with GetKidsToCode (GKTC), a local non-profit offering a robust after-school course exclusively to Collegium Middle School students. Their CCS Middle School course will be Mobile App Development.
Mobile App Development is a foundational course where students start with basic understanding in logic building, flowcharts, and core language constructs. As they progress through the course they will be introduced the world of app development using MIT App Inventor. MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that facilitates the creation of fully-functional apps for smartphones and tablets. By the end of this course, students will have skills to build their own basic apps.
To learn more about Mobile App Development and to see the session dates and related fee, please access the link below.
Questions? Please use the Contact Us feature on the GKTC website or send an email using the link below.
Help Wanted At Collegium
Full-time and part-time/substitute opportunities available. Duties include: perform various front desk tasks, professionally answer phone calls, greet visitors and families, and maintain confidentiality. Experience in an office setting preferred. Ability to multitask and strong computer skills required.
Interested? Please complete and return a Collegium Application or email your resume via PDF email attachment to our Human Resources Department.
Each week, CCS Administrators highlight common terms and philosophies in education, and explain how they impact teaching and learning at Collegium. This week's contribution comes from Mr. Lawler, 150 Building Principal.
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is the learning process where children acquire the skills necessary to recognize and manage emotions, show empathy, set and achieve constructive goals, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. Schools address these skills because students need to develop strong social and emotional skills, not just academic ones, for learning to occur.
A child’s education is built on relationships with and collaboration between their teachers and peers. Emotions play a part, too, as they can assist or impede a child’s engagement, work ethic, commitment, and school success. Unfortunately, students who lack these social and emotional competencies become less connected to school with each progressive grade.
Extensive research shows that students in schools who implement SEL curricula experience decreased emotional distress, improved self-awareness and management, improved attitudes about self, higher academic motivation, more positive attitudes about school, improved classroom behavior, decreased classroom aggression, and improved academic performance. When these skills are learned early, the effects can also be felt later in life by helping individuals to avoid unhealthy behaviors and achieve a better education and employment.
One of the SEL interventions we use at Collegium is a research-based program called Second Step. The curriculum provides materials to teach social-emotional skills through lessons designed to increase success, decrease problem behaviors, and promote social-emotional competence and self-regulation.
It is every school’s responsibility to develop students who are proficient in core academics, able to work with others from diverse backgrounds, practice healthy behaviors, and behave responsibly and respectfully. In other words, schools must foster not only our students’ cognitive development but also their social and emotional development if we are going to set them up for their best chance of success.
To learn more about Social-Emotional Learning, access the link below.
2018-2019 Sibling Enrollment Information
Attention Collegium families! Our Enrollment Department is so excited to work with you and help enroll your children's siblings for our 2018-2019 school year!
In accordance with PA Charter School Law, siblings of currently enrolled students get preferential enrollment ahead of non-sibling new enrollees. However, sibling enrollment is not guaranteed, as Collegium must review the returned enrollment materials to ensure completion and then determine space availability. Sibling enrollment is only for prospective students who are siblings of currently enrolled Collegium students.
Our Sibling enrollment process begins Monday, November 6th at 9:00am when the 2018-2019 Sibling Enrollment Online Form is activated on the Sibling Enrollment page of the Collegium website. In order for families to receive priority sibling enrollment, all sibling enrollment materials must be received by the deadline - Monday, November 20th at 12 noon. Exceptions to the deadline will not be considered. Families will be notified of each sibling's enrollment status after the sibling enrollment period ends on Monday, November 20th at 12 noon. Sibling enrollment/wait list notification will occur in December 2017.
Questions? Please email our Enrollment Department.
News From Our Middle School
Spirit Week & Fall Harvest Dance
This week, the 515 Building’s Spirit Week begins on October 23rd and will follow the theme schedule below.
- Monday, October 23rd: Pajama Day - Wear your favorites school-appropriate pajamas. No slippers.
- Tuesday, October 24th: Teacher Day - Dress like your favorite CCS teacher.
- Wednesday, October 25th: Character Day - Dress as your favorite school-appropriate character from television, movies, or books.
- Thursday, October 26th: Sports Day - Wear your favorite sports jersey or T-shirt.
- Friday, October 27th: Pay $1.00 and support the CCS Yearbook's Dress Your Best Day fundraiser.
The week will end with the 515 Building’s Annual Fall Harvest Dance on Friday, October 27th from 6:00-8:00pm in the 515 Cafeteria. The cost is $5.00 and permission slips were distributed. There will be a DJ and snacks provided. Students may wear a costume and prizes will be awarded for best costume, best DIY costume, and best group costume.
All costumes must be school-appropriate. Students are not permitted to wear masks or have violent/bloody costumes. No toy weapons will be permitted.
Principals' Coffee Chats
Coffee Chats offer parents/guardians the opportunity to join our Principals for coffee and informal conversation covering the school, events, and academic programming.
In his latest Coffee Chat Invitation video, Collegium Middle School Principal, Mr. Sterious, invites families to his building for his next Coffee Chat of the 2017-2018 school year.
Below you will see the upcoming Coffee Chats. The full list of Coffee Chat dates are available by searching the Collegium Calendar for "coffee".
- 515 Building: Friday, Oct. 27, 2017, 2:00pm-3:00pm @ 515 Conference Room
- 535 Building: Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017, 8:30am @ 535 Conference Room
- 468/486 Building: Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017, 10:00am-11:00am @ 486 Conference Room
- 150 Building: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017 3:30pm @ 150 Conference Room (Room 825)
- 500 Building: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017, 9:00am-10:00am @ 500 Conference Room
HSA General Meetings
Do you have questions about upcoming fundraisers or events? Want to be involved but not sure how? Or do you have a great idea for a fundraiser or event that you want to present to the HSA? Join us for our monthly HSA meetings!
HSA meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month. Our next meeting will be held Tuesday, November 7th at 4:30pm in the 535 Media Center.