Jared Rocco is a multi-instrumentalist alternative rocker from southern New Hampshire. Since he began playing piano at age 6, music has always been a part of his life. With his new album "Escaping Reality," Jared continues to explore the craft of songwriting with 6 new songs about life and the mysterious path it leads us all on. Energetic electric guitars, flashy keyboard licks, thumping bass and drums, and vibrant soaring vocals are what you'll find on this sonic journey you don't want to miss! The album is expected to drop in April.
- According to the RIAA 2016 mid-year report, sales from streaming services continue to increase offsetting the decline in the sale of physical and downloadable music.
- In 2015, the number of streamed songs was 317.2 billion while the number of downloads of individual tracks or full albums was only 1.07 billion.
- Download single sales dropped 14.9% and download albums sales dropped 7% in 2015.
- Streaming made up 47% of the revenue earned in the U.S. music industry in the first half of 2016.
- Digital downloads made up 31% of the revenue earned while physical copies made up only 20% for the first half of 2016.
- As of September 2016, streaming service "Spotify" has over 40 million paying subscribers making it the most subscribed to music streaming service.
Alternative / Indie Rock Demographics
- From 2009 to 2014, alternative music was the leading genre in sales in the United States with over 50 million albums sold each year.
- As of 2014, rock albums lead in sales with over 102 millions albums sold per year and comprised 29% of America's total music purchases in all formats.
- 16-20 year olds stream the most music content, with 21-24 year olds coming in as the second highest group.
- People who listen to indie rock tend to be students, play a musical instrument, are active on blog sites, and listen to music on the go.
- People ages 45 and up are they largest music buying demographic while teenagers and younger buy the least amount of music.
- However, younger people are more likely to attend concerts and purchase merchandise than older music fans.
- Males seem to listen to more alternative rock than females.
- The majority of the audience for alternative and indie rock is white.
- There has been criticism that indie rock is only for white people and artists in this genre exclude other races and cultures at times.
Based on the research in the situational analysis, the target market for my music is 16-24 year olds, primarily white males, who are most likely students, play a musical instrument, or actively go online. While people over 45 seem to be the largest music buying demographic, I won't target that group since most older audiences don't tend to actively seek out new music.
Positioning Statement: Do you miss the great alternative rock from years ago? Are you sick of the nonsense pop and dance music of today? Don't fear, for there is hope for you! Stream Jared Rocco's new album "Escaping Reality" and soar away from all the trivial garbage on hit radio today. Enjoy an exciting experience of rocking riffs, passionate thought-provoking lyrics, and catchy-as-hell melodies they stay in your head for days!
- "Escaping Reality" is an alternative rock album by Jared Rocco.
- People will be able to listen to the album on streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, as well as music websites such as SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Youtube.
- A personal website for my music will be created through Squarespace and will contain links to all the locations where people can listen to the album.
- The album will initially be available to download for free for the first month after it is released. After that, the price will be $5 to download.
- There is currently no plan to make physical copies of the album, although, depending on how the album is received, this may change.
- The album will be advertised on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Multiple posts will be made during the first month of release to increase listener awareness of the album.
- Album planned to be released on April 22nd or 29th, 2017
- Promotional advertisements for the album will be created on Facebook and Google during the 4 weeks leading up to the album release.
- Promotion for the album will be posted on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, as well as Youtube videos.
- Album release show featuring guest artists and bands to take place on the day of release at a local venue.
- Music website to be created in March 2017.
- Consider producing physical copies 3 months after album release based on fan response and overall number of listens on various platforms.
- Consider releasing album for free again after a few months at $5 price to re-promote and gain new interest for people who may have missed the first chance for the free download.