WHAT IS GENTRIFICATION?
Gentrification is the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste
IS IT GOOD? BAD?
Well, how much money do you make? How much education do you have? Because, for the people that don't have much of either, it could be detrimental for them because they would be moving from a place they have lived for years to make space for people that have higher incomes and more education
I DON'T UNDERSTAND?
Cities are changing every year, adding new buildings, removing old buildings and renovating existing buildings and each year the neighborhoods in these cities are becoming more and more modern. Property values are sky rocketing which forces small business's and low income families to be displaced, but the way cities are changing it's ultimately inevitable
- renovating old buildings: makes the city look more appealing
- better housing: more desirable to live in
- safer neighborhoods: more advanced technology to keep a safer environment
- expensive housing: as soon as the property values go up, that forces lower income families to move out
- saying good bye to small businesses: the mom and pop shops, as well as low income families also won't be able to afford the higher estate values which forces them to close up shop and make space for big corporate companies like Starbucks and Forvever 21
- cultural degeneration: while the local businesses are closing, they also include ethnic businesses, so they historical backgrounds of that neighborhood could also disappear due to big corporations taking over their block
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT?
We all have our own opinions to how we feel about gentrification, some of us may have stronger ones, some of us may not care because we don't live in an area where we see this happening, but think about the opportunities you have of not living in big city, of not having the fear of being displaced, of not having your neighborhood culture being taken away from you, it's a tough pill to swallow for some of us, but ultimately inevitable