1. States' rights- an argument where state power was greater than federal power.
2. Kansas-Nebraska Act- the act that allowed the Kansas and Nebraska territories to decide whether to be free or slave states.
3. Dred Scott descision- the court ruled that stated that African Americans were not citizens and therefore could not sue in federal court.
4. Secede- formally withdraw.
5. Unionists- people who wanted to stay in the union and work out differences over slavery.
6. Confederate States of America- the Confederacy.
7. Sovereignty- supremacy.
8. On March 5, 1861, the Texas Secession Convention reassembled to write a new U.S. Constitution.
9. Sam Houston died on July 26,1863.
10. Sam Houston retired in Huntsville.