- In our design tech class, our assignment was to invent a robot that creates art. I had multiple ideas for what to create: a robot that bleeds paint from its finger, a robot that paints with hot glue, a robot that sets the paper on fire, a robot that pours water on the paper and a robot that flings paint. But I ultimately settled on a robot that painted with hot glue. I chose this idea because I wanted the robot to paint with something that wasn't paint.
- Rules and Guidelines:
- The art is made on paper The art is made on paper
- The robot makes marks(output) when a human interacts with it (inputs)
- Robot should have three different inputs
- Robot uses at least one sensor input
- Other inputs can be on button or trackpad
- The robot machine uses a gear or linkage system to help it move
- The robot has a chassis or main body piece that secures and protects the Hummingbird board
- The robot stands up on its own
- Due November 28
- What materials are you limited to?
- Hummingbird microcontrollers
- Scratch 2 (on Mac, NOT the web version)
- Sensors and motors 3D printed pieces
- Cardboard (knife or laser cut)
- Bin materials Wire and solder
- Laser cut cardboard for chassis/main body
- *Small materials from home are ok too
My Sketch For The Robot Head
10/21/16: When we were assigned groups, me and my group decided to create a "Freddy Fazbear" head from the horror video game "Five Night's At Freddy's". The head was supposed to make a screaming noise whenever someone got close enough, like a jump scare.
We first started to make his head out of cardboard. But none of us had any idea how we were going to make this work. After about two weeks of making no progress we decided to scrap the idea and start anew. Our next idea was a penguin what rubbed paint off from its belly when it slided.
The program we decided to use was called Hummingbird. It connected to Scratch 2 and was supposed to help make the motor run when someone was near the sensor. Nothing worked. The hummingbird wouldn't always connect to the motor and the sensor never ever worked. It drove us insane.
Finally, within the last few days before our project was due. We decided to pilot the penguin manually and put together a very rushed, poor looking robot.
The "Art" That Our Robot Made
Reflections: If I were to do this project again I would plan more ahead so we could have a better idea about what and how to create our robot. I was not especially proud of the robot or the "art" that it had made because it looked pathetic. Most of the problems were caused by Hummingbird and Scratch 2. I'm never working with those 2 programs ever again.