What Body Systems are Affected?
- Circulatory System
- Urinary System
- Nervous System
- Digestive System
What Body Parts does Diabetes Involve?
How does Diabetes effect the Body?
- It hinders the bodies ability to produce insulin
Dangers of Diabetes?
- Nerve damage that leads to numbness in feet and hands
- Strokes and Coronary Heart Disease
- Diabetic Retinopathy and Blindness
Treatment for Diabetes?
Type 1 - Monitor and keep blood sugar levels regulated, Insulin therapy, diet and exercise
Type 2 - diet and exercise, medication, insulin therapy
Description of Both Types
- born with it
- 5-10 out of every 100 people with diabetes have type 1
- destroys the cells that make insulin
- cannot be prevented
- low blood sugar
- develops at any age
- becomes apparent during adulthood
- Body cannot use insulin correctly
- Pancreas makes less insulin as it gets worse
- can be prevented with a healthy lifestyle
- leading cause of blindness and kidney failure