**A list of current community services available can be found in the OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY section of today's newsletter.
weekly school News
1. #thankfulThursday: The office staff would like your help in recognizing our staff. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A few positive comments already submitted:
"Mrs. (Mechelle) Smith is so kind and helpful, she is also extremely patient with my daughter and very understanding and kind to me as a parent when I am struggling!"
"Mrs. Jones has been awesome during this time. She's reached out to us and it's appreciated!"
*All schedules are subject to changes in response to recommendations from the Indiana Department of Education
To make scheduling less confusing, Related Arts teachers are assigning all work on Monday with a due date of Friday. Students may work on these assignments at any time during the week.
Food Service Meal Kits
For the time being, this service will continue on Mondays. Please see the flyer below for more information on this opportunity for GC families.
6th Grade Virtual Variety Show
Attention 6th grade families, if your child is interested in participating in the 2020 Virtual Variety Show, please see the attached flyer for information. Email Mrs. Blasdel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Let's see some talent!
Disability Awareness Week
The 2nd week of March was Disabilities Awareness Week at Maxwell. This tied in with the March campaign from the Governor's Council for Disability in Indiana. One year ago, GCSC held their first ever Unified Champions Special Olympics that included students in grades PreK through 6 participating. This year the plan was to continue and add grades 7 and 8 as well. Due to the COVID19 pandemic, those plans have been cancelled.
Many staff members and students come together to support these athletes through planning, practices, and the event day, just to name a few. Mrs. Hacker and Mrs. Joslin are proud to be part of that team for MIS.
As in past years, Maxwell held a Disability Awareness poster contest during this time. While we were not able to celebrate those winners who were also invited to join on the official game day, we would like to recognize them.
Anna M., Jules B., Ally Herron, Gabby M., & Makenzie G.
Thank you for everything you do, staff and students, to support ALL Greenfield Central students with equality and respect! #proud2bMIS
2020-21 Cheerleading Information
If you need tech support for your child's device, please send an email to email@example.com stating the student's name, school, and tech issue. The tech department will respond by Google Meet, email, phone, or possibly appointment, if the issue cannot be fixed remotely.
WIFI Access: The tech department has made WIFI available in the south parking lots at both MIS and Eden. A password is not needed should you need to make use of this.
Social Worker Information/Supports
Do your kids need something to look forward to this summer? Camp Invention is coming to J.B. Stephens Elementary on July 13-17! Watch this Camp Invention 2020 video to get a preview of what students will experience. The National Inventors Hall of Fame also compiled this At Home STEM Activity Guide for families.
We now have $100 scholarships available to help families send their children to camp! A huge thanks goes out to our community partners: Hancock Health, Duke Energy and Greenfield-Central School Foundation. Complete this Camp Invention Scholarship Form to receive scholarship support. (If we have to cancel or change camp dates, full refunds will be issued to parents.)
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Leliaert at firstname.lastname@example.org or Krista Steeno at email@example.com
Hancock County Public Library: Wifi and eBooks
- WiFi: the Hancock County Public Library has extended their Wifi into the parking lot of the library here in Greenfield. Feel free to use this service as you social distance.
- Students have a digital library card and can access all of our online resources at https://hcplibrary.org/.
- Click on the Online Resources, Reference and Research, Teens, and Kids tabs to see everything available.
- Librarians are available Monday - Friday on our instant message chat from 12-5 p.m. to answer your questions.
Cancelled MIS Events
- Onsite learning through the end of the 2019-20 school year
- Standardized testing: IREAD, ILEARN and IAM (local assessments such as NWEA and weekly tests will be decided later)
- Any onsite events or field trips at Maxwell until the building reopens
- Any PTO Sponsored Event until the Governor's Travel Ban is Lifted
School Assistance Request
If you need assistance or have a concern, please contact your child's teacher, our school social worker, the assistant principal or the principal. Phone calls to MIS are not currently being answered. Please use the link below for staff email addresses or utilize your teacher's messaging system.
AskRose Homework Help
This may be an even more important resource in light of our current situation. Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose), and they have now added the hours of 12pm-3pm to accommodate e-learning needs.
Current 5th Grade Student Music Information
Choir: Please click here to sign up for 6th grade choir. Signing up now is important so that we can start building class schedules for next year.
Band: Mrs. Basso has created the list of interested students. We will work on rescheduling the instrument testing once things return to "normal".
With learning taking place from home, students may be more likely to spend additional non-educational time on their electronic devices. We are providing parents and guardians with a few useful tips in regards to internet and social media safety.
KEEPING UP WITH THE LATEST AT MIS