Episode One: March Madness
NCAA Season / NCAA Tournament / NCAA Championship / Player Intros
Key dates: March 28 - April 4 (Final Four)
- Characters are introduced: we meet the players we will be following through season one.
- We learn their backstory, see them on college campuses, get to know their personalities.
- We follow our characters through the NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Houston.
- Who’s in / Who’s out? After the season, players announce if they’re entering the draft.
Episode Two: Prepare and Declare
“Will I Stay Or Will I Go” / Post College Life / First workouts for NBA Teams
Key dates: April 24 (day you declare for draft)
- Agents are introduced: some players hire agents, others choose to keep their options open. Once you hire an agent, you can’t go back to school.
- New rule allows players to workout for all 30 teams once, and return to school. Players will be “testing the waters” during this period.
- Players without agents workout with their college coaches, who advise them through the process. Coaches might want them to stay in school, but give them honest advice.
- Our first look at different NBA cities. Players work out for a different NBA team every other day.
Episode Three: The Combine
NBA Draft Combine (Chicago)
Key dates: May 11 - 15 (NBA combine dates)
- The NBA Draft Combine in Chicago is May 11th-15th. Players are measured, timed, and evaluated by hundreds of NBA scouts over four days.
- The top 60 draft prospects get invited to the combine. Underclassmen who don’t receive invitations can take it as a warning not to enter the draft.
- The combine is an important time for agents to lobby for their clients and for deals to be made. Many important conversations happen in hotel lobbies or in secret meetings at the combine.
- This is the first time all of the draftees are together since the college season ended. Old friends will be reunited and new friendships will be forged.
Episode Four: The Lottery + Workouts
NBA Drat Lottery / Deadline to withdraw your name from the draft / Players travel for private NBA team workouts
Key dates: May 17 - June 23 (time between combine and draft); May 17 (Draft Lottery); May 25th (name withdrawal deadline)
- On May 17th we find out which NBA team will have the first pick in the draft in the televised NBA Draft Lottery.
- The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is May 25th. Some guys who were “testing the waters” will decide to return to school, while others keep their name in the draft.
- With the pool of players finalized and draft day just a few weeks away, teams hold private workouts to give players one last chance to prove their worth.
- Mind games: Teams conduct interviews and evaluate the mental fortitude of potential draftees. Our guys meet with coaches, executives and players from various NBA teams.