Some images enlarge when clicked depending on the resolution
For the basis of the name “Shively”, we must go back to about 1780 when Christian and Jacob Shively settled in that area. They purchased a tract of land at the location now of the 7th and 18th street merger. In about 1810 Christian Shively constructed a mill and tavern on a local creek, which is now known as Mill Creek, which was later rerouted. A stagecoach stop began in 1831 on the route known as the Salt River Turnpike, later the Louisville and Nashville Turnpike. The first Post Office was opened in 1902. Many of the citizens wanted to name the Post Office “St. Helens”, after the local Catholic parish. However, there already existed a post office named St. Helens in Lee County, Ky., so the name of “Shively” was established. An interurban electric streetcar line was extended to the area in 1904 and continued on about 10 miles to Orell. Shively was incorporated as a sixth-class city in the late 1930s. The city had 1,035 residents with St. Helens church at its center. Executives of distilleries wanted Shively incorporated so the distilleries could be annexed and kept out of Louisville with its higher taxes. A history of Shively businesses and other information follows the photos.
1858 map (now showing the current 7th and 18th streets location), then pioneer roads merging at the then location of Mill Creek, where Christian Shively had a mill and John Jones had a tan yard. That branch of Mill Creek from the main creek farther south no longer exists. The Salt River Turnpike became Dixie Hwy. Old Manslick road was rerouted around the area to its present location.
From the 1939 Jeffersonian
From Shively, Kentucky History, Facebook page.
From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
1913 map of 7th and 18th connecting in heart of Shively. Oehrle's Dairy became Shively Park in the 1950s
Shively's namesake, Christian Shively and Family. The community was originally known as St. Helens.
The original St Helens Church, built in 1898 at the intersection of 7th and 18th streets.
Fr Peifer, founding pastor of St Helen's Parish in 1897 with his transportation. His 2 cousins from Germany kept house for him. Fr. was pastor for 40 years until 1938 when, because of declining health, he resigned as pastor and returned to his native, Bitburg German. He died 2 years later. Father Peifer was succeeded by Rev. Joseph A. Newman on August 31, 1938 who was pastor until his death at 68 in 1957. For the first 60 years, St Helens had only 2 pastors.
For the website "Memories of St. Helen's" click this link --- History of St. Helens Parish
St Helens church with new facade, 1935
Interior of St Helens in 1947, 50th anniversary of parish. Fr. Peifer, the founding pastor, named St Helens after the church in his native, Trier, Germany. The cross that St Helen is holding over the main altar is from wood in a forest near his Trier birthplace.
Original school built in 1898
St Helens being demolished 1963. Larger church was built at rear. Larger church needed? Later the 3 parishes of St. Denis, St. Matthias and St Basil were merged into St. Helens because parishioner counts had declined.
The 1st Mill Creek Methodist Church and the 1st Mill Creek School in photos below
1930s, probably - Mill Creek Methodist Church. On the same property is Mill Creek School to the right
Christian William Shively donated 1 acre of land in 1816 which became Mill Creek Methodist Church. It existed from 1848 till 1945. That location is now part of the property which is Byerly Used Cars at the 4040 block of Dixie Hwy, west side. The church moved to Stowers Lane. In 1965 that property was bought for the Watterson Expressway. The church moved to Garrs lane and is now known as Parkview United Methodist Church.
Mill Creek School. Some time after the erection of the Methodist church, a one room schoolhouse was built on the Shively lot. In 1905, a new frame schoolhouse was erected on the same site. (see photo of Shively Baptist Sunday School class below). In 1922 the board of education acquired adjoining property and erected a five room facility. In 1942 Mill Creek School moved to the east side of Dixie Hwy which became adjacent to the Watterson Xway interchange. A new Mill Creek Elementary was opened in 1970 at 3816 Dixie Hwy adjacent to Shively Park.
There is much history about the beginnings of the church and school in a 1932 Kentucky Court of Appeals case, Jefferson County Board of Education versus Mill Creek Methodist Church. (Sometimes the link is inactive) > here
Current Location of Byerly Used Cars on the east side of Dixie Hwy with old buildings superimposed. This would be about the old locations of Mill Creek Methodist and Mill Creek School noted above but only farther back off of the road.
From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
Old Mill Creek School - From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
Shively Baptist Church
Shively Baptist was initiated by Carlisle Avenue Baptist Church which became interested in the Shively area, completed a religious census, enlisted the aid of the Long Run Assoc., 18th Street Baptist Church and Beechland Baptist Church and established a mission here on April 3, 1932. Shively Baptist then became an organized church on September 8, 1932. The church met in Mill Creek School until able to purchase the property on which to build in 1934. The first building was dedicated on January 12, 1936. The first educational unit was completed in September of 1940 and by spring of 1950, the church added another educational unit and a front addition to the auditorium. As the community grew, we were blessed with an expanded ministry and ever-growing numbers of people. In 1954, we began a mission on Rockford Land which became the Rockford Lane Baptist Church on June 5, 1955. Just 3 months earlier in March 1955, we sponsored another mission which was organized as the Shively Heights Baptist Church on September 13, 1959. In the fall of 1966, we again shared in a mission endeavor by participating with First Baptist Mason, Ohio in the support of Batavia Baptist Chapel. We later bought property for them to build and on February 18, 1973 they were constituted as Batavia Heights Baptist Church. Such is the generous past of Shively Baptist.
1933 - Mill Creek School - Picture of the Shively Baptist Church Sunday School in front of the 1st Mill Creek School. The Mill Creek Methodist Church referred to in article above is at the left on the same property.
1934 - Shively Baptist First Sanctuary erected on the west side of Dixie Hwy next to the future Mill Creek School
1940 - Educational building added to the north side of church
1950 - New front addition and south educational building added to Shively Baptist Church
ca. 1957 - Butler High School on Crums Lane, looking west
Suda E. Butler High School
With the population migration moving toward the county in the early 1950’s, the demographic of Dixie Highway began to rapidly change. Additionally, the Watterson Expressway opened in 1956 and Dixie Highway widened to four lanes in the early 1950’s. This brought about a need for another school to accommodate the area youth. Valley High School had overflowed to capacity with 2,300 students in 1954 and was generally considered to be the largest high school in the state. Thus, in 1953, the Jefferson County Board of Education purchased the Sweeney property, originally the Crum property, on Crums Lane. The Crum house has been razed in 1828. This 27.25 acreage was used for a dairy farm at the time of the sale. The property was purchased for $61,594. On the school site, the property sits some twenty feet from the adjacent property lines, one of which was a sizeable corn crop.
Suda East Butler High School opened in the school year 1954-1955 and was dedicated on November 30, 1954. The school was named in honor of Mrs. Suda East Butler in recognition of her years of service to the children of Jefferson County. Mr. Herbert Lee Hatfield, former assistant principal at Valley High School, was named the new principal. He brought thirty-six teachers from Valley with him to open the new school.
The several electric interurban lines of the early 1900s. The tracks were removed and the rights of way sold in the 1930s/40s. People were buying autos and no need was seen for rail traffic. Most community leaders now wish the lines had remained.
A Louisville to Orell Interurban car somewhere along the future Dixie Hwy in 1915
1934 - Sewer construction disrupts interurban service on Dixie Hwy
1934 - Interurban car awaits passengers coming from the north to board and continue on southward.
1934 - MSD Southwestern Outfall sewer construction closes Dixie Hwy at location of Appleton Lane
1934 - Dixie Hwy closed because of sewer construction
Looking south - Interurban Line - From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
St Helens Motors, west side of Dixie, just north of Crums Lane and next to Hubers Standard Station. Later became Shively fire station and city hall
Bank of St. Helens, 1915 at the merger of 7th and 18th streets. In 1909 Shively was a long, dirt road drive from Louisville. The isolated community, then known as St Helens, had few places to shop and no place to bank, so 33 area merchants and farmers bought $15,000 worth of stock to establish the Bank of St. Helens. It was the only bank in the area for years.
Bank Robbery - From the Shively, Kentucky FaceBook page. Between 9 and 9:30 o'clock a. m. on September 2, 1927, the bank of St. Helens, located in Shively Ky., was robbed by four bandits, three of whom went into the bank office and committed the robbery, while the fourth one remained in the high-powered automobile stationed at or near the front of the bank.
1920s probably. At merging of 7th and 18th streets looking north
Facing north on Dixie at Crums Lane 1930s. Mike Grasmick's grocery and home at far left.
Dixie Hwy at Crums Lane, 1930s, looking north. St Helens Church at right
1930s - 7th and 18th facing north where streets merge. Old Shively Park is at right on 7th St. Rd.
1937 flood at merging of 7th and 18th streets looking north
From St Helens Bell Tower 1930s. Arrow at top left points to home of George & Elizabeth Wachtel, my grandparents.
From St Helens Bell Tower late 1950s
Strip center in above photo. It had Leonhardt's restaurant, Shively Gazette, Shively Post Office and 2 others businesses in the 1940s-50s at least. Different businesses at other times. The Shively Gazette was issued under new management as the (Shively) Kentucky Gazette around 1940, I think.
1976 - Bicentennial Cake, at old Bank of St Helens location, between 7th and 18th streets
The Bank of St Helen moved to 4040 Dixie Hwy, just north of Garr's Lane in 1950.
St. Helens Sweet Shop - The proprietor was Frank Angermeier who was also a rural mail carrier. His daughter Louise, was a clerk for the City of Shively. It became Mueninghoff's Tavern in the 1940s and later Buds Tavern. The building was owned by James B. (Doc) Cooper who lived in right side apartment above. Doc was not a doctor, his father was. Muenninghoffs was owned by 4 brothers, Dick, Bert, Ray and Arthur "Cap". Leo "Augie" was also a brother but was not involved in the business, I don't think. Dick operated the tavern. Augie was the supervisor of the Shively Post Office on 18th street in a section of the building that also included Leonhardts Restaurant. The Shively Gazette was also in the line of buildings. After Dick died and sometime later, Charles J. "Buddy" Muessle operated the tavern. Later Bud's wife ran the tavern, I think, and Bud Muessle became owner of the popular Delta Restaurant at 5th and Market in Louisville. That restaurant was destroyed by fire in 1994. Later history of the old Muenninghoffs/Buds Tavern will have to be completed by others. The property is now owned (2019) by the Kupper (not Cooper) family.
Another picture of St. Helens Sweet Shop. Dixie Hwy across from St. Helens Parish
1959 - Watterson stopped at Dixie Hwy
Stower's Grove was located off Stowers Lane at the location of the now Louisville Memorial Gardens. See photo above.
I do not know the exact location of Frederick's Gardens, formerly Grote's Park. From the Shively, Kentucky History FaceBook page.
1928 facing south - 7th St Rd just south of Berry Blvd approaching the railroad tracks before underpass built. Alms House at center behind trees at red dot.
1955 - Speedy Schreck’s Liquor Store. Across Dixie Hwy from the now Byerly Motors. Next door to the south was Mike Schreck Tavern, then Schreck Auto Sales, and then Bob Schreck’s State Farm Insurance office. Next was the old site of Millcreek School, then located on the west side of Dixie Hwy. In the late 1940s the school moved to the east side of the highway adjacent to the later built Watterson Expressway. Speedy Schreck later a liquor store across from Dixie Manor Shoping Center and another at Barrett and Oak.
1936 photo of first Post Office - on 18th east side, 1 block north of 7th and 18th intersection
Mrs Diersing, 1st postmaster - from Shively, Kentucky History, Facebook page
Hubers Standard 1930s. Dixie Hwy and Crums Ln. St Helen's Motors at right, later the Fire House
Hubers Standard Station at Crums Lane and Dixie, 1937 flood
Henry Huber Blacksmith Shop, 1803 Crums La. 1940s. From the Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
1937 flood - Grasmick's grocery and home across from St Helens. Later Grasmicks moved about a mile south to the west side of Dixie Hwy. Huber home on Crums Lane at left.
Kool Camp west side of Dixie at later location of Bacons Shively Center
Another image of Kool Kamp, now Bacons Shively Center location
ca 1930s-40s Kool Kamp, Dixie Hwy in Shively. Later Bacons center property
ca. 1950 - Dixie Hwy looking west just south of the future Watterson. Korfhage Nursery at right, Kool Kamp cabins at top left. Future Bacons location.
undated - Korfhage Nursery and Florist. Dixie Hwy on the north side of Bacon's Shively Center,
Bacons Shively Center opened in 1956
Bacons Shively Center, Dixie Hwy before the Watterson built at right.
Crums Lane looking north on 18th Street. Leonhardts Restaurant, now Chef House
Watterson interchange construction 1971, looking southwest
The Alms House on 7th Street road, now Southland Terrace Shopping Center..
In 1872 the city of Louisville purchased a 225-acre for the purpose of building a new almshouse for the poor. in 1874 the Home for the Aged and Infirm was opened. The building had 142 rooms (room enough to house almost 300 wards of the city) and was surrounded by a large farm that was worked by prisoners from the city workhouse.
The property encompassed the land from 7th street to Manslick Rd with a section extending to Gagle Ave. The home was closed in 1953 and the building raised. The city sold the property in 1955 which included the land for the Southland Terrace Shopping Center.
Another view of the Home for the Aged and Infirm, 1929 - Known as Alms House
Another 1929 view of the Alms House
Back then named St Helens Volunteer Fire Dept. Located on the Alms House property.
The Shively Fire Department was established in early 1918 as the St. Helen’s Volunteer Fire Department and carried that name until the City of Shively was incorporated in 1938. With a recorded 196 members, the St Helen's Volunteer Fire Department was housed at the Home for Aged and Infirmed, located on property that is now the Southland Terrace Shopping Center.
In 1942, the town became a fifth class city. The St. Helens Volunteer Fire Department, and the town marshal moved into a building originally housing the St. Helens Motor Company next to Huber's Station at Dixie Highway and Crums Lane. This building housed the police court and was where the town hall meetings were held. In 1950, a fire station was built at 3930 Park Drive
Henry Huber in the St. Helen Fire Truck. circa 1920 - 1930
Shively Fire Dept, late 1940s. I recognize >>> 3 Duke Quillman - 6 Courtney Casey - 7 Bud Herl - 9 Fred Warns - 10 Red Fulner - 12 George Vernon - 13 Joe Atzinger - 14 ? Biblehauser - 19 Irv (Dutch) Kupper - 21 Dave Huber - 22 Rich Wachtel - 25 Tommy Yunt - and several other faces but cannot place names. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
1942 - Shively Fire Department. Charles Bibelhauser Senior at far left and George Vernon at far right. Cannot recall names of those in between. I was seven years old at that time.
Shively Fire Dept ca. 1943
1956 - Spur Station between 7th and 18th. 7th Street view from old Shively Park.
1956 - Spur Station 18th Street view. Alms House and old Shively Park at right, later Southland Terrace Shopping Center.
United Electronics School on Park Drive 1961, across from Thelma Lanes Bowling Alley. The land was purchased from my grandparents, George and Elizabeth Wachtel. Their home was on 18th street and their property and garden extended back to this location. George was a candy-maker and part of the 2 story candy shop behind his home can be seen past the right rear corner of of the electronics school. The 1 story wing at the right of the shop contained the outhouse.
Wessels Hardware between 7th and 18th streets next to St Helens Bank at left. 7th street view
Joe Roach, Shively constable, 1940s
Rockford and Dixie 1958, looking south
At Garrs Lane facing north. The relocated Bank of St Helens is at center left of photo, 3 doors from A&P
1916 - West side of 18th street, Interurban tracks. Just north of Appleton Lane, I think. Maybe the Gornets lived there in the 1950s.
Shively Fire Dept next to Shively Park
Lookin east from Eisenminger Farm on Farnsley Road toward Dixie Hwy 1/2 mile distance. Later was Mueninnghoff's home. Now, Matheis Ln area. 1930s maybe.
Caption said Dixie Highway (18th Street), June 4, 1935. I wonder if the the R.R. crossing is for the old Interurban Line.
Dixie Highway and Rockford Lane July 29, 1935
Dixie Hwy & Crawford ln - 1965
7th Street Road and Berry Blvd. looking North up 7th St. Rd.
1941 Crums Lane facing east with Shively city limits sign. Hillview would be just ahead on the right.
1948 - Byerly Motors opened on Dixie Hwy in Shively.
ca. 1940s, Burgers Restaurant, west side of Dixie Hwy. Now location of Watterson Expressway interchange.
Opened in 1948, closed in 1986 - From Shively, Kentucky History, FaceBook page
Shively Dairy on Ralph Avenue at Tucker Lane
Brawand's Dairy, Ralph Ave and Tucker
Oehrle's Dairy was on 18th at the now Shively Park plus the dairy land extended farther north
1936 - Silver Slipper, 5111 Dixie Hwy across from Upper Hunters Trace. Owned by Mike Linnig at least by the late 1940s.
1941 - Crums Lane facing west. The future Butler H.S. would be ahead on the left
St. Helens Commercial Club back then. Dixie Hwy, east side.
Crums Lane extended around mid 1950s. Southland Terrace built around mid 1960s.
1946 photo of the U.S. Army, Nichols General Hospital. Not in Shively but right next door. View is south. The 7th St Rd and Berry Blvd intersection is at bottom right with Manslick road curving around the facility and heading south. After the patients were moved to the new Zorn Ave Veterans Hospital, Nichols was used as an induction center and a training facility for the reserves and the national guard. That is a Lucas Hussy tobacco warehouse in the foreground.
Dixie Hwy. looking south with Upper Hunters Trace and the old Kelly's Bar on the right. - 1933
Duffy's Tavern, Dixie Hwy, east side north of Ralph Ave.
Early 1970s - Dixie Hwy looking north toward the Watterson.
1956 - Western Tire Auto store on Dixie. East side looking north. Byerly Motors next door to south.
Looking South on Dixie Hwy. 1933 from Appleton Ln, probably. Luken's truck farm at left.
White Top across from St Helens Church and next to Mueninghoff's Tavern. Owned by James Hicks.
White Top restaurant at 4012 Dixie Hwy. Probably 1940s. Qwned by James Hicks who also owned Hicks Restaurant farther out Dixie, later Jerry's.
The White Top Restaurant, maybe
Hick's Restaurant, west side of Dixie Hwy, later Jerrys
1948 - Hicks Drive-In on Dixie Hwy, latter Jerrys
Rich Wachtel at bat, old Shively Park next to St Helens Church. Alms House in distance. Park is now Southland Terrace Shopping Center. ca. late 1940s.
1970s - Front lawn of St. Helen's Church facing Dixie Hwy.
1933 - Shively Map showing distilleries
1934 - Frankfort Distilleries, a block off Dixie Highway, across from Ralph Ave.
1948 - Stillage trucks belonging to farmers as far away as Glasgow, Vine Grove and Indiana front of homes in the 3100 block of Dixie Highway waiting to load at Frankfort Distillery. Stillage is a by-product of whisky production.
1948 - Farmers getting sitllage to slop hogs from Frankfort Distillery on Dixie Hwy across from Ralph Ave.
1970 - Employees at Old Fitzgerald Distillery off Ralph Ave
Stitzel-Weller Distillery on Tucker Ave off of Ralph Ave.
Late 1930s view of Seagrams Distillery on 7th Street Road, facing west
1933 - 7th St Rd looking south. Yellowstone Distillery is being constructed across from farmhouse. The Yellowstone Brand was the largest selling bourban in the 1960s. It closed in 1985.
1951 Yellowstone Distillery on 7th St Rd.
1983 - Arlan's Department Store at 3502 S. 7th Street .
Body shop on Crums Lane behind Hubers
Nubs Melton, Chief of the Shively Police Department, 1953 to 1963
Sears Catalog store east side of Dixie Hwy at Garrs Lane
Fihe - Kupper was just to the left of the Sears store in the photo above. The owners were Robert (Doc) Fihe and Kenny Kupper. From the Shively, Kentucky Hiostory FaceBook page.
Whipple Motors at Dixie Hwy and Bernheim Ln (Later Perkin's Motors)
1929 -Info says Dixie Highway, somewhere south of St. Helens Church but does not give direction of view or exact location.
1929 -Info says Dixie Highway, somewhere south of St. Helens Church but does not give view direction or exact location
1933 - Dixie Hwy looking north at Ralph Ave.
1948 - Growers Market, 3001 7th Street Road. Later Bill Luken's Supper Club.
Charles J "Buddy" Bibelhauser's Bakery on 18th Street Buddy was a co-owner, a farmer and a former Fire Captain for Shively Fire Department. He was President of Louisville Baker’s Association. The Biblehauser Farm was on Matheis Lane in Shively.
Buddy Bibelhauser and his dad, Charles Senior. Buddy said he lost a 100 dozen donuts when making a fire run.
Current Map of Shively, 2019
The following 10 images are 1955 aerials photos along Dixie Hwy beginning at Ralph Ave and proceeding south to Upper Hunters Trace. To download images of higher resolution with the markings removed I would have to purchase the images. Clicking an image will enlarge the photo.
1955 - Ralph Ave, Appleton Lane area
1955 - Farnsley Road area
1955 - New Shively Park area
1955 - 7th and 18th Streets junction
1955 - Future Watterson Expressway area. Stowers Ln, Beechview Ct & several other area homes demolished.
1955 - Heaton Road area, Kool Kamp & future Bacons Shively Center
1955 - San Jose to Rockford Lane area
1955 - Kingsford Drive to Brick Kiln Lane area
1955 - Upper Hunters Trace and Dixie Drive In area
The three aerial photos below are identical views at the Dixie Hwy and Watterson Interchange. - 1955, before construction. - 1971, cleared of homes and businesses with some of the roads to be closed. - 2013, completed interchange.
Shively Archives: The History of Shively Businesses. From the Southwestern Weekly, September 24, 1970.
The following is a list of former Shively businesses and places of interest dating from the late 1970’s. Names of businesses listed are based on the recollections of the compiler and there may be omissions. Readers are invited to provide additional names. Also, this article will serve as a request to contribute to the City of Shively photographs and other printed matter relating to Shively businesses or other places of interest. Contributions should be sent to the City of Shively, c/o Mrs. Mitzi Kasitz, City Clerk, 3920 Dixie Hwy, Shively, KY 40216, telephone 502-449-5000, www.shivelyky.org and will be retained in the city archives.
Driving south on 18th St from Millers Ln, the west side of the street was primarily residential. On Dubourg Ave, Mr. Robbins operated an auto body shop in the garage at his residence. On the east side of 18th St was the Ranch House which opened in the mid-50’s and was a favorite drive-in for teenagers along with the A&W Root Beer stand further south. The Ranch House provided one of the basic food staples for teenagers; “Ranchburgers.”
Duffy’s Tavern on the east side of 18th St, was in business for many years. Further south at 2917 Dixie Hwy, was Merrick Lumber Co., now occupied by Antique Car Co.
On the west side of 18th St at Ralph Ave, was the Shady Lawn Tavern owned and operated by Mr. Burger. Behind the tavern to the west where an apartment complex now stands was Butch Wurtele’s truck garden. Butch was locally famous for his highly regarded homemade horseradish sauce.
Further west on Ralph Ave, was the Texas Gas Transmission Office, Modern Concrete, and the Stitzel Weller Distillery which distilled and bottled Old Fitzgerald, W.L. Weller, Rebel Yell and Cabin Still bourbons. On the south side of Ralph Ave where it makes a 90-degree turn was the Hepp farm. At the west end of Ralph Ave at Cane Run Rd was B&B Tavern, owned and operated by Bob Brumleve who, prior to being in business there, was a bartender for years at the aforesaid Shady Lawn Tavern.
Continuing south on 18th St, on the east side was Charlie McClellan’s Wrecker Service and the Manning Funeral Home. Immediately south of the railroad tracks, also on the east side of the street, was the truck garden of Arthur and Jack Luken. They sold their excellent seasonal vegetables to retail dealers at the Haymarket in downtown Louisville.
South of the Luken property and on the east side of 18th St was Moody’s DX Service Station.
Continuing south on 18th St and approaching the intersection with Dixie Hwy, Crums Ln and 7th St, the original location of the Shively Library was in a residence on the east side of 18th St. Further south was Buddy’s Bakery and then one came to a prominent business, Wessel’s Hardware, owned and operated by Mr. Roy Wessel. In the days before big box stores, Mr. Wessel’s hardware store was a wonderful repository of not only hardware but also appliances, high quality tools, sporting goods, guns, fishing tackle, Christmas trees during the holidays, lawn mowers and a repair service. Adjacent to Wessel’s at the apex of the triangle made by the confluence of 7th St, 18th St and Dixie Hwy was the red brick building, which was the original location of the Bank of St. Helens.
Across from Wessel’s on the west side of 18th St, was a brick building which contained several tenants including the highly regarded Leonhardt’s Restaurant, famous for its fried chicken and homemade pies. South of the restaurant was the site of the Shively Fire Station (which moved to Park Rd in the 50’s). Other historical tenants at this site were Reiger Pharmacy and, later, the original location of George’s Gun Shop. At the corner of 18th St and Crums Ln set Dave Huber’s Standard Oil Station.
On the south side of Crums Ln and the west side of Dixie Hwy was a Kroger Store, Hanger’s Pharmacy, (later Irvin Kupper’s Shively Drugs), Arno 5 and 10, the White Top Restaurant, Muenninghoff ’s Tavern, O’Neill’s Trailer Sales, Dr. M.D. Reen dental office, the Schreck Complex which included Speedy Schreck’s Liquor Store, Schreck Tavern & Barbeque (which had one of the first tv sets in Shively), Schreck Auto Sales, and Bob Schreck’s State Farm Insurance office. Then came the site of Millcreek School (by the late 40’s having moved to the east side of the highway north of and adjacent to the later built Watterson Expressway). Behind the school and slightly south was an ancient, unoccupied brick church building. The Bank of St. Helens was south of the Millcreek School, separated from it by a furniture store and barber shop (Grimmeisen’s ?) in conjunction to the south of the bank property was the A&P Food Store. Continuing south on the west side was the Picadilly Inn Tavern located approximately on the south end of the Holiday Inn parking lot. The Picadilly Inn not only sold beer, but also had hand dipped Sealtest ice cream.
Continuing south on Dixie Hwy, was Korfhage Nursery and the Kool Kamp tourist cabins. The tourist cabins property later became a part of the Bacon’s Shopping Center.
Returning to the east side of Dixie Hwy at its intersection with 7th St and 18th St was St. Helens Church and School, south of which was Hartlage Dry Goods, Joe Lynch’s Feed Store and Chamberlain’s Shell Station. Approximately on the site of the service station in the 40’s was Catterson Buick Sales. There is a legend that in the 40’s, periodic impromptu on footraces occurred on Dixie Hwy from Schreck’s Barbeque, to the Garrs Lane intersection. Participants in the race were Dick Schreck, Frankie Schmitt, Tom Catterson and George Hardy and others whose names are lost in the sands of time, though old timers may remember.
Continuing south was Byerly Ford, Hardy Funeral Home, the Shively cemetery, Dr. Siebel’s dental office, Dr. Schacklette’s medical office, Fihe-Kupper Drugs, Sears & Roebuck and Millcreek School.
South of what is now the expressway was a frozen food locker and Ernstberger’s Tavern. Further south on the east side at San Jose Ave, was the Toadstool Inn (famous for it’s fried chicken and home fried potatoes). The compiler has a hazy recollection that somewhere in that neighborhood was Learning Nursery. Also in this area were Brown’s Photography Studio and the Sangalli Mushroom facility.
Near the southern boundary of Shively on the east side of Dixie Hwy was Rohleder’s Hardware.
Beginning at the intersection of 7th St with Berry Blvd and proceeding south on the west side is Home Supply, the long-standing business opened by Al Schneider. Continuing south at Leroy Ave in the 40’s was Eicher Nursery. Sometime in the mid-50’s, Krispy Kreme came to occupy this site and continues to the present to turn out delectable donuts.
The east side of 7th St from Berry Blvd/Manslick Rd to Crums Ln was not and is not within the Shively municipal boundary. In the 40’s and 50’s the area now occupied by Southland Terrace Shopping Center was a large undeveloped grassy area continuing on its east boundary adjacent to the IC Railroad a large, four or five story building which was the Jefferson County (or Louisville) Home for the Aged and Infirm. It was commonly known as “The Alms House”. The building was razed in the late 50’s. To its south was a garage which, according to folklore, was the original home of the Shively Fire Department, housing in the early years of the century a fire wagon drawn by a team of horses. This area also was the location of a baseball diamond on which the Shively men’s baseball team competed on Sunday afternoons against other area teams like the firemen and, if memory serves, St. Matthews, among others.
References to the foregoing places are based on the compiler’s memory. It should be emphasized that the specific places of business mentioned operated at various times and not necessarily during the same time period.
On the west side of 18th, north of Shively Park was the Oehrle farm and Bud Oehrle’s Restaurant which was later bought by Thomas “Snake” Hayes and Frankie Schmitt who operated the business as a restaurant and bar. Later, the building housed an oriental restaurant. West of the restaurant property and north of Shively Park was Chet Matheis’s truck garden. North and west of this property, prior to being subdivided, the Farnsley family operated a large farm. On Farnsley Rd and Mary Catherine Dr, was the Eisenminger Truck garden, the home of which later became a Mueninghoff home.
Here are some of the first 5 generation of Shivelys from genealogy information.
1. Christian Shively is believed to have married Mary Bayso. Christian was born 1746 in PA and died 1826 in Jefferson County, KY. Christian Shively was an early pioneer in Jefferson County, KY. Christian received a grant for 3000 acres of land in early Jefferson County and for whom the suburb of Louisville called Shively is named.
2. Henry Shively (1794-1847) who married Maria Hambleton, was the son of Christian Shively.
3. William Shively (1830-1906) was the son of Henry Shively. He was married 1853 in Jefferson County to Margaret J. Jones (1830-1912). Margaret was the daughter of Stephen Jones and Elizabeth French. Listed on the 1860 Jefferson County, KY census is the household of Wm H Shively age 30, wife Margaret age 29, daughter Maria age 5, daughter Maggie age 3, son Stephen age 2, and daughter Mary age 6 months.
4. ??? Harry R. Shively was the son of Harry Shively and Mary "Mollie" A (last name unknown).
5. ??? Harry R. Shively's grandfather was William Shively (1830-1906) . He was married to Margarett J (last name unknown).
6. Harry R. Shively (1886- 1958) married Jennie Fertig (1883-1960). See story below.
Associated Press. Louisville. June 17.--Fate conspired against pretty Jennie Fertig and willed that the secret of her elopement two days before last Christmas should be wrung from her yesterday afternoon. Miss Fertig is a stenographer in the office of an attorney here and she was called on to sign a will as a witness. Fearing that she might invalidate the will by signing her maiden name she resolutely laid aside her pen and declared that she could not sign it.
Her employer did not ask any questions but comprehending that the situation looked a bit mystifying, she took the pen again and singed "Mrs. Jennie Fertig Shively". Then she admitted that she eloped with Harry R. Shively, an electrical worker, last Christmas. She is the daughter of Martin L. Fertig, assistant traffic manager of the Louisville & Portland canal. Jennie Fertig was the daughter of Martin Luther Fertig and Katherine Cassandra Barmore.
Harry and Jennie are listed on the 1930 Jefferson County, City of Louisville census record. In the household are Harry R age 44, wife Jennie age 46, son Raymond age 19, daughter Dorothy age 16, son Floyd age 14, son Carl age 11, daughter Elizabeth age 8 and daughter Jen age 6. Also in the household are two boarders; Emma E Reese age 43 and Katheryn Reese age 18.
The Shively Library
In 1942, at the urging of Councilwoman Pauline Hardy and with the assistance of LFPL, the Shively City Council approved $5,000 to establish a library for the city of Shively. The library was first located at the Bank of St. Helen's and was later moved to the home of Mary Diersing at 3937 Dixie Hwy., to a room that was used previously for a post office. Adele Beyer became the first librarian.
The city of Shively paid $25,000 for the library to be housed in a portion of the Newman Memorial Building (now called the Shively City Hall), built in 1959 by local contractor, Al J. Schneider. The memorial building, where the library is still located, was named after the Rev. Joseph A. Newman, a well-known pastor in Shively and head of the St. Helen's Church community for many years. Newman was extremely active in the library, and his work stood out so much that his name was added to the branch also that year.
This link - "A Place in Time" - is a 1989 Courier Journal publication giving a short history of all neighborhoods of Jefferson County Kentucky. It is a "safe" PDF file.
--- THE END, FOR NOW ---