TIPS FOR THE WIN!
- Call the host to find out what foods they will be having and volunteer to bring an appetizer or meal side dish. See below for some great recipe ideas!
- Remember that alcohol is loaded with calories and it's an appetite stimulant. Alcohol will also let down your defenses and you will be more apt to fall for temptations. Choose club soda, diet soda or a flavored water to stay on track with achieving your health goals.
- Don’t change your exercise routine the day of the party.
- Make the occasion a social event and focus on your friends and fun. Nudge your friends, family and neighbors to get healthier by making a wager and use exercise as the payment of choice. If your team wins, the other team’s fans have to do a push up for every point your team scored.
- When the party is at your house, use low calorie and fat free salad dressings for dips. Have plenty of healthy snacks for you such as almonds, celery stalks and other fresh cut veggies.
- Make a decision about what you are going to eat before you go. Have a written plan or you will fall into the plans of other people.
- Make a decision about what you will say to those who try to push fattening food on you. Be ready to respond. If someone asks "Are you on a diet?" say "No, I'm just trying to make healthier choices."
- Have a healthy meal, snack or meal replacement bar/shake before you go to curb your appetite.
- Get up during half time and walk outside (weather permitting) or do some stretching.
- Stand away from the food table and engage in conversation. Use a small plate to put your healthy food items on, and then walk away.
- Bring your own healthy snack (a shake or bar) with you in case there are not good food choices at the party, especially if you will be there for 3 hours.
- Help serve and clean up. Keep busy and burn a few extra calories in the process.
Credit: Lori Andersen
TURKEY BACON WRAPPED JALAPENO POPPERS
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 12 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mix cream cheese and Cheddar cheese together in a bowl until evenly blended. Fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture. Put halves back together and wrap each stuffed pepper with a slice of bacon. Arrange bacon-wrapped peppers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bacon is crispy, about 15 minutes.
Slightly Adapted from: AllRecipes.com
MINI PEPPER NACHOS
- 1/4 chopped jalapeño pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 12.5-oz can low-sodium chicken breast (in water), drained
- 6 -oz avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 24 mini bell peppers, halved with stem, seeds, and membranes removed
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Sauté the diced jalapeño in a lightly greased skillet until tender.
- Mix the jalapeño, chicken, avocado, yogurt, one cup of cheese, and chili powder in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the mini bell peppers in a single layer in a large casserole dish. Fill with chicken mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and broil until cheese has melted, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and serve with salsa, if desired
BUFFALO CHICKEN BAKE
- 14 oz raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts - yields 9 oz cooked
- 2 oz or 1/2 cup 2% reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Frank's Hot Wings Sauce
- 1/4 cup Light Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
- 2 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 1.5 cups crunchy veggies: Celery, Red Peppers, Cucumbers, Carrots, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake chicken breasts for 30-35 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove chicken breasts from pan and chop the chicken into small pieces. Place chicken inside of a baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine Frank's Hot Wings Sauce, ranch dressing and cream cheese.
- Heat over medium high heat, stirring until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Once cream cheese is melted, pour the sauce mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese over chicken mixture.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Credit: Sandy's Kitchen Adventures
For a brief overview of what a Certified Health Coach can do for you, watch this short video. Message the person that sent you this link to schedule a FREE consultation.