What is evaluation?
- Judgment or review
Components of Evaluation
- Criteria: "standards by which to evaluate the subject of the review" (289).
- Summary: A brief section giving the reader context about when the album was released, relevant information about the artist, and major themes from the album.
- Reason for review: doesn't have to be stated, but should be in the back of your mind while writing
- Something relevant to say: making a connection from your evaluation to a larger point.
4 Features of Reviews
- Topic worthy of analysis
- Complexity—sufficient evaluation
- Appropriate evidence
- Reasonable conclusions
Writing an Evaluation
- Identify a topic (music album, for our class)
- Place review in rhetorical context
- Select a medium
- Develop main point of evaluation
- Support claim through evaluation
- Organize the evaluation
- Get feedback
- Refine your voice