Eric Carle is an author and an illustrator. That means he writes books and creates the artwork for the books. One story he wrote is about a grouchy ladybug that spends an entire day looking to fight other creatures. The grouchy ladybug has horrible manners, is very rude, and bullies others. Read The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle.
Do you think the grouchy ladybug would be a good friend? Why or why not? How do you feel when someone treats you badly? Is it okay to be mean to others?
The Bible tells us, "Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31).
How do you like people to treat you?
You will make a collage of a ladybug. You will learn how to use numerous art materials. You will explore how to place structural elements and make personal choices as you create your collage.
construction paper; watercolors; paint brushes; water; large black sharpies; wiggle eyes; scrap paper for flowers; scissors; glue sponges
- Cut ladybug bodies from red construction paper.
- Cut a head from black construction paper.
- Glue the body and head to a large piece of white construction paper.
- Cut spots and legs from black construction paper for the ladybug. Glue them on.
- Use a black sharpie to draw antenna on the ladybug.
- Paint the background with yellow and blue watercolor.
- Once dry, cut out paper flowers and add to the edges