The secret annex
The Secret Annex is what the Frank Family called the hiding place they stayed at during World War II. The front of the building functions as Otto Frank's work building. Although the back of the building, which is unable to be seen from the front of the street, is where the Frank and Pfeffer family hide during the war.
1. Marriage between Jews and subjects of the state of German or related blood are forbidden. Marriages nevertheless concluded are invalid, even if concluded abroad to circumvent the law. Annulment proceedings can be initiated only by the State prosecutor.
2. Extramarital intercourse between Jews and subjects of the state of German or related blood is forbidden.
3. Jews may not employ in their household female subjects of the state of German or related blood who are under 45 years old
4. Jews are forbidden to fly the Reich or National flag or to display the Reich colors. They are, on the other hand, permitted to display the Jewish colors. The exercise of this right is protected by the State.
5. Any person who violates the prohibition under I will be punished by a prison sentence with hard labor. A male who violates the prohibition under I will be punished with a prison sentence with or without hard labor. Any person violating the provisions under III or IV will be punished with a prison sentence of up to one year and a fine, or with one or the other of these penalties. The Reich Minister of the Interior, in coordination with the Deputy of the Führer and the Reich Minister of Justice, will issue the Legal and Administrative regulations required to implement and complete the Law. The Law takes effect on the day following promulgations except for III, which goes into force on January 1, 1936. Nuremberg, September 15, 1935 at the Reich Party Congress of Freedom.
The Nuremberg laws were laws that stripped Jews of their basic rights,
In the 1930s and 1940s, Germany, Britain, Japan, Russia, and the United States used propaganda. Propaganda is the use of bias and misleading information to promote a certain political cause to convince the population into believing what is shown. The following pictures are just a few of many examples of propaganda issued to the public during the war. It is important to know that these posters may be offensive and are only wanted to provide you with an authentic representation of what occurred during this time period.
Otto Frank was the father of the Frank Family that led the move into the Secret Annex. He was a German soldier in the World War One. He bought a diary for Anne and gives it to Anne on her 13th birthday. He is sent to Auschwitz and is the only member of the Frank Family to survive.
Fritz Pfeffer was a German dentist that went to Amsterdam in 1938. He was the last member to go to the secret annex. Anne and Pfeffer did not get along. Anne gives him the nickname of "Mr. Nitwit". He died of illness in the concentration camp, Sachsenhausen. He was 55 years-old.
Peter Van peLs
Peter van Pels was one of three kids that hid in the Secret Annex. Anne and Peter shared several moments together. At first they fought, but later develop a friendship. Peter is sent to Auschwitz with Otto Frank who protects him while on work. Peter is relocated from Auschwitz to Mauthausen concentration camp and later dies of illness at just 18 years old.
Miep Gies was an Austrian born woman that worked for Otto Frank in Amsterdam during the war. She was one of the biggest helpers while the Frank Family went into hiding. She provided them with supplies in the Secret Annex. She discovered Anne's diary and later returned it to Otto Frank. She lived to be 100 years-old.
Act 1 summary
The Frank's move out of the house in Amsterdam in the secret annex ti hide from the nazis. The van deans moved in too. Peter and Anne haven't been able to get along because Anne is too immature. Düssel moves in. He thought the escaped to Switzerland. Anne made personalized gifts for Chanukah for everyone in the annex. They hear someobody downstairs. Peter falls and makes the burgled run away. Everyone thinks the green police will come and find them. This is the climax.