Byron Bay High School delivers a collaborative learning environment where students achieve excellence through our connection with community and land, creating holistic leaders of the future.
Dates for your diary
- Wed 10 Feb | Swimming Carnival
- Mon 15 & Tue 16 Feb | SRC 'Sweet Heart' Fundraiser
- Tue 16 Feb | School Photo Catch Up Day
- Tue 16 Feb | FNC Swimming Murwillumbah
- Tue 16 Feb | P&C Meeting @ 7pm
- Wed 24 Feb - Fri 26 Feb | Camp Koinonia, Evans Head
Thu 11 Mar | Vaccinations - Year 7
- Thu 1 Apr | Last day of Term 1
- Fri 2 Apr | Good Friday
- Sun 4 Apr | Easter Sunday
- Mon 5 Apr | Easter Monday
- Tue 20 Apr | First day of Term 2
COVID19 Restrictions for parents still apply at school
In accordance with NSW Health, Parents and carers ARE NOT ALLOWED ON SCHOOL SITES or at off-site school events held during school hours except for the following purposes only:
- Essential parent and carer meetings with teachers and/or school executives, with a scheduled appointment. This includes scheduled meetings with parents and carers of prospective students. If you are coming for a prearranged appointment please bring your mobile phone so you can scan our QR Code.
- Parents and carers who have been contacted by the school for the purpose of picking up their child if they are unwell. Parents and Carers will be asked to arrange a COVID-19 test for their child if they have displayed flu-like symptoms while at school. (If you are responding to our school absence SMS that your child is absent due to illness, please be specific about what symptoms or type of illness they have.)
- Parents and carers who need to be on site to Volunteer in the School Canteen.
Thank you for your understanding. It is important that we abide by NSW Health guidelines.
6 things you need to know about payments
We are in the process of changing the way payments are made for your child at Byron Bay High School to make it easier for you.
We will be using School Bytes going forward for both payments as well as general correspondence.
You will begin to receive emails for payments to be made online that will be easier to use, less information will be required as it will auto-generate for for each individual student.
For instructions on how to do this please click here for a Parent Payment Guide this will open a new tab for you with the instructions, so you can follow whilst making payments.
As this is new to us all we will be here to support you and as always your patience is appreciated.
Australia Day Awards
Article from the Byron Echo
Years 7 - 10 Aquatics Program
Aquatics is a mandatory part of the PDHPE syllabus and participation is compulsory for all students. Water safety plays a significant role in the lives of all Australians and the school swimming program aims to develop basic water survival skills, stroke development and opportunities to experience a variety of water sports such as water polo and water aerobics.
Years 7 to 10 students will be participating in a term long swimming program as a part of their PDHPE practical lessons. Please read the email sent to all families Tuesday 2 February for all information and return the permission note and money by Wednesday 10 February.
Term 1 Sport will kick off on Wednesday 17 February, Week 4, and run until 31 March. Sports notes will be handed out today Monday and payments can be made online via the Byron Bay High School website.
- Parents can pay online via our website by clicking on Make a Payment at the top of the homepage
- If you make an online payment your permission slip MUST be returned the next day with the receipt number on it to finalise processing and secure your spot in the sport.
- Only students are able to make payments at the front office (due to no onsite access to parents and carers) from Monday Week 2.
- Early payment together with the permission slip secures your child’s spot in the sport. Some sports fill up quickly so early payment will help avoid disappointment.
Mrs Kelley Caoyonan - Sport Coordinator
2021 Swimming Carnival
Wednesday 10 February
Our annual swimming carnival is on this Wednesday 10 February. The expectation is that all students will attend the carnival, it is part of the Byron Bay High School calendar as are all of our carnivals.
Program of Events
There are plenty of events for all students, competitors and non-competitors will have events to swim in all day. Go in as many as you like!
An email with all information was sent to all families outlining transport to the pool, the program for the day and pool entry costs.
Mrs Kelley Caoyonan - Sport Coordinator
School Band 2021
Last year we were unable to run School Band due to COVID19 restrictions. If there is enough interest we will run Band in 2021.
Students need to please leave their name with Mr Todd or any music staff, in the CAPAL staff room, if you are interested. There will be a nominal cost to employ the band director of around $10 per week. All instrumentalists and vocalists are welcome to join.
Rehearsals will commence as soon as enough interest is garnered.
Mr Paul Todd - Head Teacher CAPAL
Best Start Year 7 Assessment
Year 7 students will participate in the Best Start Year 7 Assessment in Term 1, 2021.
Best Start Year 7 is an online literacy and numeracy assessment available to secondary schools that assesses key literacy and numeracy skills of Year 7 students. It is designed to assist teachers to identify students who may require additional support in developing their literacy and numeracy skills. The assessment is undertaken between 1 February to 5 March.
The purpose of the Best Start Year 7 Assessment is to provide feedback to teachers to help identify student needs. Feedback will be provided to teachers who may choose to share this with students, parents and carers during teacher interview processes.
Best Start Year 7 is just one of a range of assessments the school uses to assess students.
Please inform the school if your child has special needs requiring support to complete an online assessment. Additional time will be provided as a provision for identified students.
Byron Bay High School will be running the Best Start Year 7 Assessment from Monday 8 February (Week 3).
Please contact the school and ask for the Year 7 Best Start Coordinator Joanne Burchall if you have any queries.
Sweet Heart Fundraiser
For Congenital Heart Disease | 15 - 16 February 2021
Students can support a very worthy cause by purchasing Heart Kids bracelets for just $5 each
On Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 February our SRC students at Byron Bay High School will be selling Heart Kids bracelets. Students will be able to purchase a special $5 heart beads bracelet to help support families impacted by Congenital Heart Disease (CHD).
Students may also like to buy one for a loved one following the weekend of Valentines day.
The bracelets symbolise the beads that many of our heart kids receive during hospital stays, with each distinctive bead representing a specific challenge, procedure, or treatment that children with CHD have endured.
Mrs Leah Miles and Mrs Lara Cranfield - SRC Coordinators
School Photos were taken today
- All students present had their photo taken today for their Student ID card
- School Photo catch up day is Tuesday 16 February
- Purchases can still be made after today online with the code 6006VNXFW at The School Photographer website
- Students must give their envelope if purchasing photos directly to the photographer
- Payment must NOT be made to the school
- Students must be in correct school uniform
- Sibling photo envelopes are available for collection by your child from the front office
Tuesday 16 February - All Welcome!
The Parents and Citizens Association meet on the third Tuesday of every month during term from 7 pm to 8:30 pm in the school library. All parents and care givers are welcome to attend.
The meetings provide an informal opportunity to engage the school principals, teachers and other parents/caregivers and discuss important issues for the school and its students.
Year 7/11 Camp Koinonia notes now overdue
All notes and money for this Camp are now overdue. Notes have been handed out, emailed and are available on the Links and Downloads page on our website.
We would like all Year 7 students to attend this camp from 24 to 26 February 2021. The camp is aimed to be fun and build social relationships between students who will have to work with one another for the next six years. Trained Year 11 peer support leaders will assist teachers in the activities at the camp.
Please contact the school if you would like to discuss a payment plan for this camp.
Byron Bay Netball Club
Byron Bay Netball Club has opened registrations for the 2021 season. Register online NOW, or in person on 6 February and 13 February. Active Kids vouchers accepted.
Byron Bay Football Club Season registration now open!
2021 Season Registration is now open and we are raring to go. Division one, girls teams and social mixed teams in all age groups available - new and experienced players welcome! Team trials are starting this week so checkout our website for all the details - Byronbayfc.com.au.
Information sessions will be held at the Byron Bay Recreation Grounds on Thursday 11 and Tuesday 18 February from 3:30 pm to 5 pm.