It all started when Ernest Rutherford was born on August 30, 1871. He was born in Nelson, New Zelaland, the 4th out of 7 children In his family. He Went to University of New Zealand and Canterbury College. He Majored in Math and Physical Science.
Rutherford Family, early 1883
Left to Right: Charles (8 yrs), Ernest (11 yrs), Florence (6 yrs), Martha (40 yrs), James (10 yrs), Herbert (9 yrs)
He Discovered his model in 1911. It's commonly known as the gold foil experiment and Demonstrated how the atom Has as a very small, heavy nucleus.
Rutherford gold foil model
- Had a nucleus unlike other models before
- He Used the terms protons and neutrons
- Didn't use quantum theory like the Bohr model
- He couldn't explain why negatively charged particles stayed in orbit unlike positively charged particles
Then there was Niels Bohr. He was Born October 7th, 1882 in Copenhagen, Denmark. He Majored in Physics at University of Copenhagen, University of Cambridge, and Victoria University of Manchester. He Discovered his model in 1913.
- Brought quantum theory into the equation unlike others before him.
- Explained why negatively charged particles stayed in orbit unlike positively charged ones
- Couldn't work for particles other than hydrogen
- Doesn't tell about the distribution of the electrons