The Maroons celebrated their senior class in style Saturday, as the men's squad topped a NCAA Division I program for the first time in program history and on the women's side, a new school-record was set.
Saturday, Jan. 27: UChicago at DePauw, 12 p.m, and Lake Forest, 1 p.m. (Split-Squad Events).
- UChicago Top Finishers (Men)
- 100-yard Breaststroke – Reona Yamaguchi (1st, 59.17)
- 100-yard IM – Reona Yamaguchi (1st, 52.55)
- 200-yard Freestyle – Taye Baldinazzo (1st, 1:43.48)
- 500-yard Freestyle – Taye Baldinazzo (1st, 4:43.20)
- 50-yard Freestyle – Alexander Farrell (1st, 21.49)
- 200-yard Butterfly – Michael Todd (1st, 1:55.06)
- 200-yard Backstroke – Keda Song (1st, 1:53.80)
- 100-yard Freestyle – Keenan Novis (1st, 47.16)
- 200-yard Breaststroke – Aaron Teo (1st, 2:10.29)
- 200-yard Medley Relay – 1st, 1:35.08 (Michael Todd, Reona Yamaguchi, Keda Song, Alexander Farrell)
- 400-yard Freestyle Relay – 1st, 3:07.59 (Taye Baldinazzo, Keenan Novis, Keda Song, Alexander Farrell)
- UChicago Top Finishers (Women)
- 200-yard Freestyle – Nadia Redza (1st, 1:56.08)
- One-meter Dive – Natalie DeMuro (1st, 258.38)
- 200-yard Breaststroke – Margaret Wolfson (1st, 2:24.66)
- 100-yard Butterfly – Nicole Garcia (1st, 58.78)
The Maroons won a total of 10 event titles and the UChicago women won the team title to highlight both teams' performances at Saturday's I-55 Triangular hosted by Illinois Wesleyan.
Saturday, Jan. 27: UChicago at Grand Valley State Invite (Indoor), 1 PM ET
I-55 Triangular Women's Event Winners:
- 60 meters -- Alisha Harris, 7.91
- 200 meters -- Alisha Harris, 26.60
- 400 meters -- Nicole VacaGuzman, 1:01.09
- 60-meter hurdles -- Robin Peter, 9.16
- High jump -- Alexandra Thompson, 1.57 meters
- 1,200 meters -- Cassidy McPherson, 3:46.78.
TWELVE STRAIGHT Ws
The #20 Maroons just keep winning, topping both Carnegie Mellon & Case Western in two big-time road wins last weekend. UChicago is now 14-2 overall and 5-0 in UAA play.
- Friday, Jan. 26: UChicago at Emory, 6 pm ET.
- Sunday, Jan. 28: UChicago at Rochester, 2pm ET.
#20 UChicago 82, Carnegie Mellon 62
- Junior forward Olariche Obi had one of her best offensive efforts of the season, leading UChicago with 20 points, 10 rebounds, six steals, five assists, and three blocks.
- Sophomore guard Mia Farrell added 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting, Taylor Lake had 14 points and six boards.
- First-year Marissa Igunbor was a force in limited action, netting 15 points in just 17 minutes.
THE FARRELL SHOW
#20 UChicago 91, Case Western Reserve 46
- Mia Farrell posted the most efficient outing of her young career – the sophomore guard made 10 of 13 field goals and all four three-pointers. She scored 24 points in only 20 minutes of action.
- Junior forward Olariche Obi tallied her fourth-straight double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore guard Miranda Burt scored 14 points in 13 minutes played, and senior guard Elizabeth Nye posted 11 points and four assists.
- The 45-point margin of victory was UChicago's largest since defeating Carnegie Mellon University 88-39 on Feb. 5, 2017. So far this season, the Maroons have beaten eight opponents by at least 20 points.
The #23 Maroons fell to a tough #14 North Central squad in a home dual Saturday at the Ratner Athletics Center.
- 141 – Chaise Hauck (UC) def. Anthony Rink (NCC), 10-8 decision (SV1)
- 165 – Kahlan Lee-Lermer (UC) def. Cameron Hayes (NCC), Fall (3:50)
- 184 – Jason Lynch (UC) def. Josh Bouie (NCC), 1-0 decision
Friday-Saturday, Jan. 26-27: #23 UChicago at Wheaton Pete Wilson Invitational.
UChicago improved to 8-8 overall and 4-2 in UAA play after defeating Carnegie Mellon and narrowly falling to Case Western Reserve over the weekend.
Friday, Jan. 26: UChicago at #13 Emory, 8pm ET
Sunday, Jan. 28: UChicago at #22 Rochester, 12 pm ET
Ryan Jacobsen's career-best 28 points and 14 rebounds propel Maroons to 66-64 road win at Carnegie Mellon Jan. 19.
- Jacobsen's 28 points and 14 rebounds were both new career highs. He shot 12 of 15 overall from the field (80 percent). Karras recorded 11 points.
- Noah Karras added 11 points, hitting three treys.
- Collin Bartel nabbed eight rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
Case Western Reserve 78, UChicago 73
- Senior Jake Fenlon scored a team-high 18 points.
- Sophomore Jordan Baum had an all-around game with 15 points on 5-of-9 shooting with five rebounds and five assists.
- Sophomore Sam Sustacek added 11 points to round out Maroon players in double figures.
The #9 UChicago men's & women's tennis teams kick off their spring seasons this Saturday against NCAA Division III Lewis at XS Tennis Village.
Saturday, Jan. 27: Lewis at UChicago, 1 pm CT
- Where: XS Tennis Village, 5336 South State Street, Chicago
- The Maroons hope to build on their strong showing in the fall. The Maroon men claimed singles and doubles titles at the ITA Central Region Championships for the fourth-straight year. The duo of sophomore Tyler Raclin and first-year Jeremy Yuan went on to win the ITA Oracle Cup doubles title for the first time in program history.
- Women's fall highlights featured an all-Maroon ITA Central Region Championship singles final between first-year Claire Handa and sophomore Marjorie Antohi. Handa came out on top 7-5, 7-6 and advanced to the ITA Oracle Cup, where she placed fourth.