This inquiry unit plan covers the topics of Ionic and Covalent Bonding in Chemistry. Modeled from Trumbull High School's 2015-2016 lesson plans, I tried to develop lessons that would integrate more hands-on activities and independent learning. As we move into the NGSS standards, finding phenomena has proven to be a bit of a challenge.
Starting the unit with ionic bonds:
- Basic notes and at-home activities
- Move into "active learning"
- More active learning
- Formative assessments - exit slips, mid-lesson "thumbs up/down" (check points)
- Summative assessments - Quizzes
Moving into covalent bonding:
- Independent learning - reading and taking notes; online notes.
- Hands on activities, in class and at home.
- More 'active learning' in this lesson group; working with peers.
- More 'reinforcement' with supplemental material.
- Formative and summative assessments.