Indigenous Education Advisory Committee
The focus of the Superior North Catholic District School Boards' Indigenous Education Advisory Committee is to increase all student and staff awareness, knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, history, contributions and perspectives.
Our committee met several times throughout the school year and continues to build and strengthen meaningful partnerships between SNCDSB and our Indigenous communities and organizations as well as improve academic outcomes and wellbeing for SNCDSB Indigenous students.
Much effort and focus are put on school-based math training. Teachers, early childhood educators, and educational assistants participated in our annual Achieving Excellence Math PD Day. The introduction of the Prime program to our staff and how to link it to the other programs that are currently utilized in the schools was shared. The program by Nelson Education is researched, developed and validated in Canada. It produces measurable and significant improvement in teacher understanding and student performance.
We provided a survey for staff to complete at the end of the Math PD day in order to get their feedback about the day and future suggestions. The feedback received was positive and the staff provided us with many suggestions that the Math Team will take into consideration.
ADDITIONAL SCHOOL BASED TRAINING:
- PLC Supports: Despite the geographical challenges we have successfully managed to have a Math Facilitator at most, if not all, of the Professional Learning Communities this year. This has allowed teachers to arrange classroom supports on the spot as learning is taking place.
- Daily Teaching Supports: One of the Math Facilitators’ primary roles this year has been to offer frequent and rich co-teaching, co-planning, and modeled teaching support for all teachers.
- Balanced Math Presentations: We continue to work towards our goal of board-wide implementation of a Balanced Math Program
- IXL Math Online: SNCDSB introduced IXL Math to teachers as part of a balanced math block using technology integration. This online resource has also been made available to all families at home.
- New Teacher Resources & Opportunities: OAME conference, Nelson Math, Prime Training, Math PD day
During the 2018-2019 School Year, we completed our Board office expansion which is attached to the St. Martin Catholic School in Terrace Bay, Ontario. Due to the required changes set out by the Accessibility Act, businesses and public sector organizations must be accessible to all and modernization is required for compliance and safety. Our office is now fully accessible to all members of the North Shore Communities.
Superior North Catholic School Board is proud to be an integral part of the North Shore and will always strive to better serve our schools.