First Steps – What's Out there?
I wish either to start my own comic book company or to work for Dark Horse Comics. I am good at what I do and I constantly display signs of improvement over time. I have created multiple fleshed out stories, characters, and settings.
A comic book artist at Dark Horse Comics makes about $14-$17 an hour, the job of a comic book artist is to create the artwork, and sometimes even the story, behind a comic or graphic novel.
Next Steps – Find a Job!
Not literally – in the dream-big-figurative-sense. Why? You need to know what it takes to qualify for that job.
Now, find a company/organization and a job position that interests you. Research the following and record your findings in a Word document:
- Write a basic description of the company/organization-
- Dark Horse is a comic book company famous for making works based on expanded universes from existing franchises such as Star Wars, Alien, The Legend of Korra, and many more. It was originally founded in 1986 by Mike Richardson.
Mission Statement – Born of a maxed-out credit card and a passion for creator rights, Dark Horse Comics of Milwaukie, Oregon, has transformed the creative landscape in the Pacific Northwest, turning the Portland area into the country's largest community of cartoonists and graphic artists outside of New York.
Dark Horse was founded in 1986 by Mike Richardson, who had opened a small chain of comic-book stores in the early 1980s on the strength of that credit card. Frustrated that the market had little to offer other than the usual super-hero fantasies, Richardson and Randy Stradley decided to publish comics aimed at more mature readers and—in a novel break with industry traditions—offer the creators full ownership of the material.
Paul Chadwick's Concrete was the company's first breakthrough hit, but it was the arrival of writer/artist Frank Miller in 1990 that elevated Dark Horse from a minor publishing house to a major force in the industry. After redesigning Batman in The Dark Knight Returns, for DC Comics (one of the seminal events in modern comics history), Miller wanted to take future projects to a publisher where he would have greater creative freedom and a larger share of the profits. He eventually brought Give Me Liberty and the commercial blockbuster Sin City to Dark Horse. The Oregon-based company has, by and large, remained the industry's number three publisher, behind Marvel and DC, ever since.
On the strength of Richardson's energy and instincts, Dark Horse pioneered comics based on licensed projects—including Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aliens, and Terminator—and has dramatically popularized Japanese manga. Richardson formed Dark Horse Entertainment in 1992, which has produced such films as The Mask, Timecop, and Hellboy. The company also has a small book-publishing operation, runs a chain of comics stores, Things From Another World, and sells comic-related merchandise and toys.
The presence of Dark Horse in the metro area continues to attract comics professionals to Portland. The city is now home to two other comics publishers, Oni Press and Top Shelf; the nation's largest ensemble of freelance cartoonists, Periscope Studio; and an independent comics convention, the Stumptown Comics Festival, which feted Richardson as its special guest of honor in 2008.
a. History – Include a brief history of the company:
- When the company/organization was founded?
- A. 1986
- Who started the company/organization?
- A. Mike Richardson
- Include unique facts that pertain to the development or success of the company-
- A. It allows the creators of the comics to keep their rights
- 2. Product or Service Description –
- a. comic books and graphic novels
- 3. Job Description – Write a description of the job position
- o To produce, draw, and write comic books
- o Technically all you need is exceptional artistic ability and creativity, but of course an art degree will bring you to that position faster
- o $14-$17 an hour
- 4. Write a paragraph about why you feel this company/organization would be a good fit for you. Include in your response a discussion about:
- o CREATIVITY!!!
- o If you see opportunity for growth or promotion
- o If you feel the company/organization will be able to provide longevity or sustainability in terms of challenging you and/or maintaining engagement or motivation
- o If the salary and benefits offered meet your goals or ambitions for your life
Dark Horse Comics is a company based in Portland Oregon. I may wish to work there some day. I honestly don’t care too much about the pay, the pay works sort of like this, when you first start out, you get paid the worse of the worse, but the more successful works you end up producing, the more you become recognized and the more value you are as an artist. The challenges will be creating professional works of art while still producing them rapidly. Dark Horse provides great health insurance and a FREE GYM MEMEBERSHIP!!!