At age 11 he was pulled out of school by his father to help with house hold income and ended up getting a job as an office boy for a Brooklyn-based attorney team. He eventually found his way to a job in the printing business. He eventually turned to teaching but found his way back into journalism and started a weekly in a local newspaper. He later found his voice and became a self publisher for his poetry.
- Dad: Walter Whitman, Sr.; Born: July 14, 1789 Died: July 11, 1855
- Mom: Louisa Van Velsor Whitman; Born: Sep. 22, 1795 Died: May 23, 1873
- Sister: Hannah Louisa Whitman; Born: November 28, 1823 Died: 1908
- Brother: Jesse Whitman; Born: March 2, 1818 Death: Died 1870
- Brother: Thomas Jefferson Whitman; Born: Jun. 18, 1833 Died: Nov. 25, 1890
- Sister: Mary Elizabeth Whitman; Born: February 3, 1821 Died: 1899
His style and subject relate poetry to common life. He has a wince-factor that puts off readers.
Influences on Poetry------ (Poets that influenced Walt)
- Emily Dickenson
Work (Sources) Cited